Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Chatting and General Stuff > General Discussion

General Discussion Must wear red or OD green socks to participate. I can't see your socks, please be honest.

Made in the U.S.A. ?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-02-2014, 09:56 PM
Silver Member

Made in the U.S.A. ?

I went to one of the local outdoor stores here in Fairbanks today, I'm getting ready to head you to the Brooks Range for hunting season and thought I would see if I could find a few things for the trip. After a couple of hours I found ONE thing that was American Made, a pari of Danner hiking boots. Everything, and I mean every thing clothing, boots, bags, thermoses, was exclusively made in Asia. What was interesting is that the prices, even though the gear is made in Asia, meaning Patagonia, Mountain Hard Ware, Browning, North Face ect.. ect.. even the new stuff that was born in Fairbanks, Kryptek gear, all sold out and made in Asia is just as expensive or more so than when it was made in the US a couple of years ago. The Asian boots were just as expensive as the Danner US made ones. As the rest of the planet continues to drop the US dollar as a means of payment and exchange, I wonder, just wonder, how long it will be before Remington, Ruger, Smith and Wesson, Weatherby, and Springfield ect ect... will also be made in Asia. Buy and demand made in USA before its to late!

Old 08-03-2014, 12:54 AM
Gold Member

Re: Made in the U.S.A. ?

I only buy USA made firearms and wear Danner boots. Just do what I can....
Old 08-03-2014, 06:14 PM
Platinum Member

Find out what's driving the prices and you'll see why businesses are going overseas. Politics, global economy, and other factors makes it hard to demand US made products only.

Like many of us, I too would love to see "MADE IN THE USA" products from cradle to grave, esp. when it is affordable for most.

I voted for my "FREEDOM", "GUNS", and "MONEY" - keep the change - UNK.

"I am always proud of my country!"

"Leadership Rule #2: Don't be an @zzhole." - Maj Gen Burton Field.

Last edited by FEENIX; 08-03-2014 at 07:43 PM.
Old 08-03-2014, 08:28 PM
Platinum Member

I maintain that the only true American Made in USA item is babies and they are delivered with offshore made surgical tools.

Danners are nice boots but your feet die before they are broken in........

I'll take my German Meindl's or my Itallian Kenetreks. At least neither is made in a third world hovel somewhere.

Vortex Scopes have become a hot item. Too bad Vortex is only a freight forwarder for an offshore manufacturer.

It's business and no one is more to blame than the American consumer.
Old 08-03-2014, 08:32 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barrelnut View Post
I only buy USA made firearms and wear Danner boots. Just do what I can....
Thats a start. Better toss your China made laptop though. While you are at it. toss your I phone too.

Better toss your clothes too and your undies and socks because they were most likely mafe offshore.

I wonder if condoms are made here?
Old 08-03-2014, 08:41 PM
Platinum Member

Buy and demand made in USA before its to late!....

Chandalar, I'm afraid it's already too late.......
I recently bought a Henry lever gun in 44 Magnum. I like the owner of Henry (HRAC), Anthony Imperato. His company credo is:

Made in America or not made at all.

Barrels from Ohio
Stocks from the midwest
Receivers from Pennsylvania
Built in all places, Bayonne, New jersey by blue collor craftsmen.

There is a guy with guts. Jersey, in fact the whole eastern seaboard is anti firearm.

While not a long range rifle, I have to say it's the smoothest lever action I've ever shot and it's accurate too. A wall hanger though. Almost too pretty to shoot.
Old 08-05-2014, 02:07 AM
Silver Member

Worth a watch