Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Chatting and General Stuff > General Discussion

General Discussion Must wear red or OD green socks to participate. I can't see your socks, please be honest.

LRH Wildlife Pictures

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-26-2006, 01:06 AM
Platinum Member

LRH Wildlife Pictures

For you photo guys out there.....

I was up on the hill today ready to shoot something but all I saw was unshootable. Wrong tag, no tag,out of season ...

Bull moose and bull elk @ ~1100yds.

It was a beautiful sunny day and I couldn't take a pic of anything. I tried my small digital with the LRF and spotter but had very poor luck.

I have a Cannon EOS 30D that I use with a wide angle zoom lens for aerial images. What kind/type of lense would be recommended LRPics??

I regret missing those pics today. The elk was just pretty and the moose was a trophy class. He would have made the BC books. Bingham County, that is.......

Any suggestions would be appreciated.
Old 11-26-2006, 07:55 AM
PUBLISHER

Re: LRH Wildlife Pictures

Roy

I have never tried seriously to take pictures of wild game while out hunting. These pix are from a photo trip to Jasper National Park in Alberta Canada. I lugged 15 or 20 pounds of photo gear up the hill with me. However, I think you may want to look into "digiscoping". This involves using almost any camera to shoot through a spotting scope...which you already have with you on your hunt.
Digiscoping

Long Range Hunting Rifles

Long Range Rifles, LLC - Ready To Ship

Components and assembly by LRH Sponsors
Old 11-26-2006, 08:39 AM
Silver Member

Len, those are great pictures I have yet to get a sheep tag and they are my favorite animal to see out. They would make a great addition to my wall. The big horn is a hell of an animal . I really appreciate the pictures.

RH
Old 11-26-2006, 12:56 PM
Silver Member

Roy,

Using your scope is one way that will work in a pinch. One of our doe/hog hunters does this. He scouts for us at the same time. Here is a picture of a young 10pt with great genetics as an example. I think his camera is only 4x, but where the deer was standing is about 115yds. Notice the Javilinas in the background as well:

[image][/image]
Old 11-26-2006, 03:04 PM
Silver Member

Some great pics Len. I sure would like to get one of those rams in my sights. The only ones I've shot so far look like this (without the girl)

and some smaller ones

I do some of my best work laying down (not me in photo)