Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Chatting and General Stuff > General Discussion

General Discussion Must wear red or OD green socks to participate. I can't see your socks, please be honest.

LRH stewardship, thoughts and some decisions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-13-2004, 05:55 PM
PUBLISHER

Re: LRH stewardship, thoughts and some decisions

Butch

Thanks for your concern over the recent conflict on the LRH forum. As you know, over the past 35 months the amount of conflict has been very, very small compared to other sites. In fact, during that 35 months we would usually go about 6 months in between any conflicts. That low frequency changed recently, however. But the recent escalation is, I am sure, over. And it will stay that way...forever!

Butch, in no way do I feel your video is the cause of any conflict here. Those conflicts were caused by people, not by videotapes.

You, or any member, may at any time delete the text within a post of your own if you wish. Just click on the edit button. (pencil symbol). The post will remain but the text will be gone.

I like your pun about "keen eyesight". [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

Long Range Hunting Rifles

Long Range Rifles, LLC - Ready To Ship

Components and assembly by LRH Sponsors
Old 03-13-2004, 07:01 PM
Platinum Member

There has been a few times I've been a pretty bad boy here, I know it and so does Len and anyone who has read it, I'm sorry for my attitude and combativeness at times, it won't continue. I should have, and will handle things differently.
Old 03-13-2004, 07:31 PM

[ 03-15-2004: Message edited by: 338-378 ]
Old 03-15-2004, 10:09 AM
Platinum Member

Good comments so far.

My concern--how does the competition section lead to bad PR? Or was that section just cut because of lack of administrators interest?

please advise [img]images/icons/frown.gif[/img] [img]images/icons/confused.gif[/img]
Old 03-15-2004, 11:31 AM
Silver Member

At the risk of offending a few. Everyone is entitled to their own opinion, here is mine.

Len, Dave and Ian. I think you are doing a great job. You've made some tough decisions, but I think you are doing the right thing to keep this site focused on it's main objective of Long range hunting.

Very few people in this world have the knowledge, equipment and ability to make a killing one shot hit on game past 1200 yards. Most folks shouldn't be attempting hits on game past 600 yards. In my opinion, if you haven't made a killing hit by the third shot, you aren't hunting, you are taking Hail Mary shots at an animal far beyond the distance you should be shooting. Having the Ultra long range forum, only encourages people new to LR hunting to try shots farther out than they have the ability to shoot.

I have no qualms with anyone taking a long shot at any distance, as long as they have the ability to make the shot. But I don't think we should encourage people to shoot farther than they are able.

As for competitions, those are all good to learn and practice shooting at long range. But realistically, they require two different types of rifles. A good 1000 yard benchrest rifle is a pain to hunt with, and a good LR hunting rifle isn't going to win many competitions. This site has lost several good LR hunters over the past year, because they got tired of getting beaten on by competition shooters. For long range hunting, it doesn't matter how tight you can shoot 10 shots, it only matters how accurately you can make that first shot.

Just my thoughts, but I think the three administrators made the right decision to keep this site focused on it's primary goal, and to promote responsible hunting.
Old 03-15-2004, 01:12 PM
Platinum Member

Tim,
A breath of fresh air. That is what this is really about - the one shot that we hope to make a clean kill with.
To me, the bottom line is that this IS Len's site, even tho a couple of thousand guys have gravitated to it and get a lot of enjoyment here. He has the right to make whatever changes he sees fit. I do not believe that Len is an impulsive person, nor is he vindictive or out to push anyone in any direction. He has every right to modify his site as he sees fit. (I would like to see a little more on wardrobe failure and nipple-shields, but obviously that is not something Len is really into...)

Looking at straight numbers, (uptake, participation, whatever you want to call it), aside from his degree of personal interest in long range hunting - those two topic areas were not getting used. That is a simple fact. The numbers where not there. Perhaps there are other topics that would generate more interest and serve (educate and entertain) more shooters that come here.

I have never seen Len place any restrictions on shooting distance, not in our personal e-mails or on this site. As far as long range shooting competitions, they have their place and their websites, this is Long Range Hunting. There are some VERY serious guys out west who spend a lot of time and money shooting rocks as practice for long range hunting. I know a bunch of wildmen who spend most of their summer hauling steel plates around so that they can hear them hear-rendering clanging of bullets on steel. This is all practice for the sport of long range hunting, as is formal competition for some individuals. Whatever rings your gong...

Last week I was honored to be asked to become an administrator here. That came out of the blue and I said yes, even tho I do not really understand what it means. Tell you the truth, Len and Dave still haven't told me what that entails as far as computer manipulation of the site or anything [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img] Maybe there is method in their madness...

Anyhow, I believe these changes are for the better of the site as a whole, hope it works out that way.
Old 03-15-2004, 08:43 PM
Silver Member

Arrrgh! ARRRRGH! Phooey. *#&&$(*@(@*&!**(*(@(#$*$&*$* Okay, I feel better now.

Len, there is more to LRH than big game. This stuff doesn't even get interesting until 1000 yards is behind the bullet, I don't care what the target is. For whatever the reason these fellas bailed, this site will be less than it was for the loss. I always had the feeling that they forget more in a day than I'll learn in a life.

So onward we go. I'm gonna hang on and hope it works. People I don't see here anymore include the gal from McMillan, Gordy Gritters, Jensen, S1, now Boyd and Darryl. Haven't seen WYO post recently though I may not have looked in all the right places. So it gets spirited at times; it's still mild compared to a few others I visit, and in the middle of it I've seen some damn fine technical discussion concerning technique and equipment. I know they can't be chained to the keyboard....

I like this place, and would hate to see it evaporate.

Dan