Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Chatting and General Stuff > General Discussion

General Discussion Must wear red or OD green socks to participate. I can't see your socks, please be honest.

LRH is perhaps the most expensive FREE hunting website on the internet

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-06-2013, 12:58 AM
Silver Member

Re: LRH is perhaps the most expensive FREE hunting website on the internet

I could spend $15K on two AR style rifles without breaking a sweat in this market. That's why I am looking for a 10/22 and FV-SR instead

Old 02-06-2013, 01:26 AM
Platinum Member

Sheesheeee don't even mention expenses.

First ya buy a rifle then upgrade it. . . Not quite there yet . . . get another rifle as a donor and go the custom route. . . then get to thinkin' "this ain't cutin' it" and go full custom on a very large wildcat. Then after two LRF upgrades have more gun than LRF. Then ya gotta get a spot to shoot at least to 1200. Glad my 5 acres was upgradable. Then ya really wanna get a video set up to save time and knees checking hits down range but ya gotta an ATV to check target hits. So ya gotta get a video setup anyway. But the ATV w/tracks gets ya out after woofs in the deep snow. THen ya gotta up grade tent/sleeping bag, showshoes, backpacking stove and tons of Mountain house. The ya gotta get some pack goats to go where the ATV can't and on and on and on . . . I'm lovin' it!!!! Then there's the chrono quandary. Did I mention spotter, wind meter, iPod & software and the little auto power outlet USB charger thingy? Oh yeah, there's the merino base layer, boot socks, boots, snow chaps . . .
Old 02-06-2013, 11:08 AM
Platinum Member

I've been considering picking up a Savage111LRH in 338 Lapua, something to pick up where the 7mag leaves off. Till I added it all up before you fire one round, assuming you handle load and want to do it right. Being cheap and still being properly set up your looking at 3k before you ever fire that 1st round. That's 2 new barrels and a whole lot of shooting out of the 7mag.
Keep in mind the animals we shoot for food and display are not bullet proof. Contrary to popular belief, they bleed and die just like they did a hundred years ago. Being competent with a given rifle is far more important than impressive ballistics and poor shootability. High velocity misses never put a steak in the freezer.

Joe
Old 02-06-2013, 12:30 PM
Gold Member

thanks to yall, now I need to get a range finder and a spotting scope...
Old 02-06-2013, 12:59 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by royinidaho View Post
Sheesheeee don't even mention expenses.

First ya buy a rifle then upgrade it. . . Not quite there yet . . . get another rifle as a donor and go the custom route. . . then get to thinkin' "this ain't cutin' it" and go full custom on a very large wildcat. Then after two LRF upgrades have more gun than LRF. Then ya gotta get a spot to shoot at least to 1200. Glad my 5 acres was upgradable. Then ya really wanna get a video set up to save time and knees checking hits down range but ya gotta an ATV to check target hits. So ya gotta get a video setup anyway. But the ATV w/tracks gets ya out after woofs in the deep snow. THen ya gotta up grade tent/sleeping bag, showshoes, backpacking stove and tons of Mountain house. The ya gotta get some pack goats to go where the ATV can't and on and on and on . . . I'm lovin' it!!!! Then there's the chrono quandary. Did I mention spotter, wind meter, iPod & software and the little auto power outlet USB charger thingy? Oh yeah, there's the merino base layer, boot socks, boots, snow chaps . . .
That about says it all Roy. What kills me on this site is the classifieds section. If it werent't for that I'd be okay, but NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO, I got to check it everyday.

Randy

"I'd rather wake up in the middle of nowhere than be in any city on earth." ---Steve McQueen