Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Chatting and General Stuff > General Discussion

General Discussion Must wear red or OD green socks to participate. I can't see your socks, please be honest.

LRH .... My people

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-19-2006, 03:59 PM
Sponsor

LRH .... My people

To the long range hunting community,

You know who you are the serious long range hunter. The guy who gears up and persues game at long distance. Never have I met such a great group of people. My wife while she is a 3 gun competitor, she is not a hunter, let alone a long range hunter. She is a high speed action shooter and really does not get long range shooting or hunting. I have tried to explain draw to her but get the " I just don't get it " look only a wife can give. I have come to realized in trying to explain our position that LRH guys are just a different breed. We look at equipment different. We look at shooting techniques differently. We look at a hunting area and see a totally different area than most. We look across a canyon where the first thing we see is a 6 MOA wind and slight thermal up, everyone else says it is simply windy. We look across a flat and see heat mirage and think " probably only be able to use 10x or so out here" everyone else says it is just hot. Most look across a canyon at a big bull elk at "over half a mile" and start looking for a route to take to get there, we see an elk at 864 yards and cuss ourselves for not having a 338 EDGE on this hunt. Ballistics are not a random campfire subject they are serious business and the very life blood of the LRH guy. So in explaining all this to her, I come to the conclusion that the LRH guys are my people. I know what frustrates you. I know the joys of your successes. When you cannot sleep at night I know what keeps you awake. I know what you really want santa to leave under the tree. I know what you see when you drive down the road that no one else does. So again thanks for being who you are.

www.defensiveedge.net
1-208-687-2659
Old 02-19-2006, 04:04 PM
Platinum Member

Re: LRH .... My people

Shawn

Couldn't have said it better!
Old 02-19-2006, 04:10 PM
Silver Member

And some of us like to 3-gun too. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]
Old 02-19-2006, 05:52 PM
Platinum Member

Shawn:

[ QUOTE ]
So again thanks for being who you are

[/ QUOTE ]

Is there any other way to "be"??? [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img] [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img] [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

Just seems normal to me. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
Old 02-19-2006, 08:23 PM
Silver Member

Wow! Something you need to get off your chest? I love this place and the folks here. I can't get my daily friends to understand or even care about the same things we experience here. I know its ananomous and at a distance but we share something that is special. I LIKE IT!!
Old 02-19-2006, 09:49 PM
Platinum Member

[ QUOTE ]
Ballistics are not a random campfire subject they are serious business and the very life blood of the LRH guy.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm glad there are people out there that don't get bored to tears talking ballistics. It is such a huge subject that most hunters just scrape the surface and then get tired of the technical mumbo jumbo. LRH guys outlast the campfire talking these things well into the night!

[ QUOTE ]
I come to the conclusion that the LRH guys are my people.

[/ QUOTE ]

Mine too. Personal interests aside, the long range hunter (for the most part) seems to be more intelligent, more serious, more willing to learn, less ignorant, more willing to spend the $ it takes to do things correctly, and absolutely more fun to talk to!

Hey, by the way, have you tried any 350 grain wildcat bullets in that 338 edge yet?
Pull it
Dump it

If it's not far, it's boring.
Old 02-19-2006, 10:21 PM
Sponsor

GG,

I have not tried any of the 350 gr WC's yet. I would like to but right now it is on the list of 1000 things I have yet to do.

www.defensiveedge.net
1-208-687-2659