close
Long Range Hunting Online Magazine


Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Chatting and General Stuff > General Discussion

General Discussion Must wear red or OD green socks to participate. I can't see your socks, please be honest.

Reply

LR low recoil 6.5 or similar

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
  #22  
Unread 03-31-2013, 10:49 AM
Bronze Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 30
Re: LR low recoil 6.5 or similar

I can identify with your back problem, being 5 inches shorter than at 20. I found the 7mm Mauser to be a really soft shooting round. Not a long range round but that back might limit your ability to long range targets. Get a good Spanish Short Rifle and stick with old sights to make long range come in a little closer. Or if you are just after shooting and not hunting try a 22LR. Going for first round hits at 400 yards is sporting. If you find the rifle too easy just try it with a handgun. Don't cheat on the doctor's recommendations, it will cramp your style even more.
Reply With Quote
  •   #23  
    Unread 03-31-2013, 11:17 AM
    Platinum Member
     
    Join Date: Jan 2008
    Location: SOCIALIST CONTROLLED TERRITORY OF NEW YORK
    Posts: 4,400
    Re: LR low recoil 6.5 or similar

    I have been thinking about you (not what your hoping), did some research on foot pounds and spinal injury's etc. We have to keep you in this sport. Consider these two options, a very large long range pistol and a light weight low recoil 6.5. I don't know your build but I will assume from your back ground you have not let yourself go. I would stick with the lapua your using add a muzzle break, I had a painkiller on my 260 rem and let me tell you is had no recoil. That will get you out to 800m plus on deer sized game. Now we have to get you a pistol for the bigger critters.

    Jon
    __________________
    "People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf"
    If you want to shoot Bergers start here!
    http://www.longrangehunting.com/arti...accuracy-1.php
    Reply With Quote

      #24  
    Unread 03-31-2013, 10:36 PM
    Platinum Member
     
    Join Date: Jan 2011
    Location: Spokane, WA
    Posts: 3,790
    Re: LR low recoil 6.5 or similar

    Good motorcycles,and bad horses made me the man i am today. I have one neck fusion, need at least one more. My 338 RUM was kind of in process, or I'd likely have gone another way. I dropped down to 180 Accubonds for rock shooting, carry mostly ATV, and its a workable if not ideal plan.
    Reply With Quote
      #25  
    Unread 04-03-2013, 11:26 PM
    Platinum Member
     
    Join Date: Dec 2008
    Location: Great Falls, MT
    Posts: 9,279
    Re: LR low recoil 6.5 or similar

    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ICANHITHIMMAN View Post
    I have been thinking about you (not what your hoping), did some research on foot pounds and spinal injury's etc. We have to keep you in this sport. Consider these two options, a very large long range pistol and a light weight low recoil 6.5. I don't know your build but I will assume from your back ground you have not let yourself go. I would stick with the lapua your using add a muzzle break, I had a painkiller on my 260 rem and let me tell you is had no recoil. That will get you out to 800m plus on deer sized game. Now we have to get you a pistol for the bigger critters.

    Jon
    Jon,

    That's why I recommended ...

    Quote:
    Originally Posted by FEENIX View Post
    How about switching to LR handguns?
    IMHO, the hands/arms can better absorb the pounding of a LR handguns(perhaps I should have used LR pistol) than a rifle pounding to the shoulder that can easily transmit pain to the neck, spine, or back.

    A LR handgun/pistol with an effective muzzle brake like what Ross Schuler is shooting in the videos ...


    the .338 EDGE


    or the .458 LOTT


    ... might be the ticket. Surely, the 6.5 will be more forgiving.


    Good luck BH!

    Ed
    __________________

    I voted for my "FREEDOM", "GUNS", and "MONEY" - keep the change - UNK.



    "I am always proud of my country!"

    "Leadership Rule #2: Don't be an ***hole." - Maj Gen Burton Field.
    Reply With Quote
      #26  
    Unread 04-06-2013, 02:51 AM
    Junior Member
     
    Join Date: Apr 2013
    Posts: 10
    Re: LR low recoil 6.5 or similar

    Bounty Hunter....

    Regarding your ORIGINAL QUESTION about which Caliber Rifle to recommend...
    I would heartily suggest a .257 Roberts....which will give you almost what a 25-06 will do. (Although I personally would prefer a simple 7mm Mauser...which has somewhat better ballistics and a tad better "knock-down power".)

    The .257 Roberts is a SWEET-SHOOTING LOW-RECOIL VERY EFFECTIVE "Big-Game" Rifle in the hands of a man that CAN shoot.

    IF you can't shoot....get an RPG. Ha-Ha !!!

    Best Regards !

    56 Wrecker
    Reply With Quote
      #27  
    Unread 04-06-2013, 06:54 PM
    Platinum Member
     
    Join Date: Jun 2007
    Location: Wilmington NC
    Posts: 4,751
    Re: LR low recoil 6.5 or similar

    Quote:
    Originally Posted by 56Wrecker View Post
    Bounty Hunter....

    IF you can't shoot....get an RPG. Ha-Ha !!!

    Best Regards !

    56 Wrecker
    Been there, done that for 24 years. That is how I ended up with neck surgery and looking at lower back.

    Hell, I even qualified with the old 202 FLASH which was a 4 shot 66mm LAWS type rockets that were all WP. One of those things would sure break up the crew hanging on the street corner.
    Reply With Quote
      #28  
    Unread 04-06-2013, 07:25 PM
    Junior Member
     
    Join Date: Apr 2013
    Posts: 10
    Re: LR low recoil 6.5 or similar

    Quote:
    Originally Posted by BountyHunter View Post
    Been there, done that for 24 years. That is how I ended up with neck surgery and looking at lower back.

    Hell, I even qualified with the old 202 FLASH which was a 4 shot 66mm LAWS type rockets that were all WP. One of those things would sure break up the crew hanging on the street corner.
    Ha-Ha !!!
    I don't know nuthin' about "Willy Peter".....
    I was only suggesting a .257 Roberts.

    Whatever "Willy" OR "Peter" do....
    I certainly HOPE that they DON'T do it around ME !!!

    Ha-Ha !!!
    ....
    just a SLOW Old Man...now.....but..."Once-upon-a-time"....
    oh...nevermind.
    BEST to YOU !!!
    Reply With Quote
    Reply

    Bookmarks

    Thread Tools
    Display Modes



    All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:58 PM.


    Powered by vBulletin ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
    Content Management Powered by vBadvanced CMPS
    All content ©2010-2015 Long Range Hunting, LLC