Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Chatting and General Stuff > General Discussion

General Discussion Must wear red or OD green socks to participate. I can't see your socks, please be honest.

Are lotterys fair to hunters???

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-26-2012, 02:10 PM
Platinum Member

Re: Are lotterys fair to hunters???

Given there is more demand than opportunity how it gets divided up will always be controversial. It comes down to preference, I don't like the foot race of "over the counter" tags being sold out by 0001 January 1. I think Nevada, and Wyoming come closest to "fair". Pure lottery gets interesting when you see some of the higher profile folks repeatedly being drawn, and lower cost entries can entice the anti's to pull a couple of tags from circulation. Oregon really short changes the non-resident, low per-centage of tags, drawn from those that have maximum points makes for long waits. Since becoming "wildlife" departments most states have minimized predator tags to the point their goal of minimizing folks in the field is in reach.
Old 08-26-2012, 02:51 PM
Silver Member

A fair lottery is great. But as was stated before " the fair comes one week every fall " . Sure is odd how all those political VIP's get drawn year after year. As I was told about voting. It's not how you vote that counts , but how your vote is counted.
Old 08-26-2012, 03:49 PM
Platinum Member

In my personal opinion, lotteries are only fair if you win. I'm all about pay to play, that is much more fair and levels the playing field.
Old 08-26-2012, 04:00 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SidecarFlip View Post
In my personal opinion, lotteries are only fair if you win. I'm all about pay to play, that is much more fair and levels the playing field.
So , you're saying they should be auctioned off to the highest bidder? It would be ok that only a few rich guys could afford to hunt?
Old 08-26-2012, 05:24 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daveinjax View Post
So , you're saying they should be auctioned off to the highest bidder? It would be ok that only a few rich guys could afford to hunt?

Exactly. I don't need fair I want equal. I want the same chance everyone else has. I don't want it determined based on whe deserves it more, or can afford it more.
Old 08-26-2012, 05:27 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by geargrinder View Post
Exactly. I don't need fair I want equal. I want the same chance everyone else has. I don't want it determined based on whe deserves it more, or can afford it more.
I'm thankful you're not in charge.
Old 08-27-2012, 09:58 AM
Platinum Member

Any and all lotteries are initially instituted to make it fair across the board for all entrants. The problem arises when you dial in the human factor. Humans, by their very nature art biased (as proven on this site, every day, why I'm all about pay tp play.

If you have the cash, make the dash. If not, stay home.