Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Chatting and General Stuff > General Discussion

General Discussion Must wear red or OD green socks to participate. I can't see your socks, please be honest.

Are lotterys fair to hunters???

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-25-2012, 08:34 PM
Bronze Member

Are lotterys fair to hunters???

In the State I live for black bear you have to get picked from the lottery to get a kill tag.I have read in different hunting magizines that Wis.has a healthy bear pop. but the avarage wait time is 6 - 9 years!.I think the DNR should let the hunters buy the tag OTC like for deer if their worryed about killing off all the bears just realese a limeted # of permits to stores.
Old 08-25-2012, 08:47 PM
Bronze Member

Re: Are lotterys fair to hunters???

I know I dont like how they draw for elk hunts here in KY, I have been putting in every year since the opened the season and never have drawn a tag, but I know of a few people that have drew multiple times.
Old 08-25-2012, 09:51 PM
Platinum Member

Fair as compared to what? Land owner tags, commissioner auction tags, weighted point system accruing points so slowly its cheaper to buy one of the previously mentioned tags! Or my personal favorite selling tags in areas which have sustained so much predation, and winter kill the season should be closed. Not a lot of fair out there, Like I used to tell my kids the fair is first week of September, go and enjoy it cause fair won't happen again until next September.
Old 08-26-2012, 07:41 AM
Bronze Member

Would it be better if they just let you buy the tags over the counter? just a limeted # that to me is the BETTER WAY.
Old 08-26-2012, 11:49 AM
Platinum Member

Lotteries are not fair. But then again, life isn't fair.

But the big advantage of the lottery is that it gives equal opportunity to everyone. It allows us broke guys to get the same tag as everyone else.
Old 08-26-2012, 12:09 PM
Silver Member

Nevada has had the lottery system since circa 1974 and it works (if you listen to game experts). It took me 19 years to get an elk tag....my last deer tag was 2008. I can usually count on going deer hunting every three years at this pace. I'll never get another elk tag in Nevada.....father time is against that. Is the lottery fair? Maybe.
I've seen way to many "influential" folks get tags year after year. My $.02 worth.
Old 08-26-2012, 01:18 PM
Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by chas3stix View Post
Nevada has had the lottery system since circa 1974 and it works (if you listen to game experts). It took me 19 years to get an elk tag....my last deer tag was 2008. I can usually count on going deer hunting every three years at this pace. I'll never get another elk tag in Nevada.....father time is against that. Is the lottery fair? Maybe.
I've seen way to many "influential" folks get tags year after year. My $.02 worth.
6 to 9 year wait for a black bear tag seems like nothing to 19 years! but you killed a better tasting animal!.