Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Chatting and General Stuff > General Discussion

General Discussion Must wear red or OD green socks to participate. I can't see your socks, please be honest.

Lost Gear!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-29-2007, 06:21 PM
Silver Member

Lost Gear!

I was wondering if I am the only stupid person in the world or not. I was out shooting yesterday at one of my places that offers super long shots, and I left my rangefinder behind. I know exactly where it was left because it was the last shooting position that I had picked out to shoot at some rocks about 1150 yds. I had left it there and traveled home only to find out that I was without one of my most important pieces of gear. I got home at a little after 10:30 pm and found out at about 10:45 that I left it there. I jumped back in the truck and drove 3 hours west(only 2 1/2 during day time) only to find 4 wheeler tracks going to where I had been shooting, footprints everywhere, and then 4 wheeler tracks leaving the place and no rangefinder anywhere to be found. I drove back home with great dissapointment. This stupid mistake cost me around $450 plus the extra gas money to travel out and back. I feel like and Idioit. Just wondering if any of you have ever donated some of your equiptment to either the great outdoors or to others that have found it? If so, how much did it set you back?
Old 09-29-2007, 06:32 PM
Silver Member

Ouch, sorry to hear that!

Yeah I donated a $500 dollar fly rod this year. I was fishing out of my pontoon boat, hooking some nice 16" trout out of a lake. Then one grabbed ahold of my fly and off goes my rod in the lake. Sinking like the titanic, I panic and starded rowing the wrong way. Got ahold of myself but it was all too late.

Two weeks ago I was grouse hunting with my dad. We stopped off to shoot our 17 hmr at the gravel pit. Later I realized my wallet was not in my pocket. Looked on the floorboard, it spilled all over. But I couldnt find my credit card, so I raced back to the gravel pit, just tracks there. No card.

Last edited by Flybuster; 09-29-2007 at 06:35 PM.
Old 09-29-2007, 08:17 PM
Platinum Member

Yup. Been there done that. As a 15yo I donated my Dad's Case hunting knife to a trickle of a stream in northcentral PA. As 25yo I donated my Dad's bamboo fly rod and wicker creel he had from the 1930's to a Ravensburg State Park picnic table. As a 35yo I donated my folding Kabar (Buck type) knife to a tree next to a lovely brook trout stream in PA. As a 36yo I donated my wife to some smelly dope smoking dude with long hair in FL. As a 56yo I donated my Leatherman to the back end of my railroad truck.

It happens to us all.

NRA Life Member
Old 09-29-2007, 08:51 PM
Silver Member

this past june me and my buddy were fishing offshore in a 12ft zodiac inflatable we where going to tie up to a rig and fish over night but the sea got to rough 6-7 ft so we headed in just before dark. coming in through the jettys the tide was coming out and the waves where breaking 10-12ft. we lost power and a big breaker flip us over .we where able to dive clear as it happen and swim back to the boat and hold on till we drifted into calmer water inside the jetties but we lost 2 penn international 80 2 speeds and rods plus other equipment that total over $4000 but we live to fish another day thank god for looking out for us that evening Roger Hunter
Old 09-29-2007, 09:37 PM
Platinum Member

I'm sorry to hear that! it happens to the best of us! Something good will come out of it!

-----------------------------
HEBREWS 13:8
Jesus Christ the same yesterday, and to day, and for ever.

Our Lord Jesus said that as it was in the days of Noah and
also as it was in the days of Lot so it shall be in the days...
It's happening again!!! God sent to us His prophet, and His Word
to this generation and we once more are rejecting it as was prophesied!!!

---> As promised, God Sent His Prophet to us!
Old 09-30-2007, 12:25 AM
Platinum Member

I'm gufus enough to do any of these things -been lucky i guess.

STXHunter --ouch man that's a big loss .
I've been in seas like that coming into the jetty and man it does get sloppy .
Old 09-30-2007, 11:17 AM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eaglet View Post
I'm sorry to hear that! it happens to the best of us! Something good will come out of it!

I guess you are right, I mean the person who found it probably thought that he just had the greatest day ever!