Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Chatting and General Stuff > General Discussion

General Discussion Must wear red or OD green socks to participate. I can't see your socks, please be honest.

Looking for some help

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-22-2012, 02:16 AM

Looking for some help

I am looking for some sound advice and help setting up a long range shooting system primarily for hunting first and target shooting second. My current hunting setup is a Remington sendero in 300 rem ultra mag. The scope is a first generation leupold LPS 3.5-14X52mm the only work that has been done to it is lighten the trigger pull to 2.5lbs . What are your guy’s thoughts and suggestions? Would it be better to start fresh or use this rifle as a starting point? Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks hunterGreg.
Old 12-22-2012, 02:37 AM
Silver Member

Re: Looking for some help

Well 1st question is, how many $$$$$ can u spend. That's the starting point. If its $1k then add to what you have. If its $2-3k then get a target rifle and keep the ultra for hunting.
Old 12-22-2012, 02:45 AM

I only have around 3500 to spend on the whole setup.
Old 12-22-2012, 07:36 AM
Platinum Member

How well does the 300 shoot?

Do you reload?

Hunting and target shooting go together like hand and glove. Target shooting is nothing more than shooting to verify drops, zeros, etc.

If she shoots at least MOA and you don't reload. Start reloading.

If she doesn't shoot at least MOA and you don't reload either pillar and skim bed the stock or get a better stock and pillar and skim bed it. Of course free floating the barrel.

Don't become a shootermatic and burn out the barrel fiddling around. That thing doesn't have the longest life expectancy but it is decent.

If you simply don't like the gun then shop around on here for one that may please you.

This one looks like fun: Note be cautious of single digit posters.... Bench 300RUM - For sale/trade

Quality optics trump rifle expenses.

I'd say your goal is to get your current rifle shooting 1/2 MOA and preferably less. Or purchase something that does.

You'll find that your current rig is a sufficient cartridge for anything you wish to do. Both accuracy potential and long range hunting. Validating drops to 1200 or so is good as target shooting gets.

Spend your money wisely.

Just some tho'ts.
Old 12-22-2012, 09:50 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by royinidaho View Post
How well does the 300 shoot?

Do you reload?

Hunting and target shooting go together like hand and glove. Target shooting is nothing more than shooting to verify drops, zeros, etc.

If she shoots at least MOA and you don't reload. Start reloading.

If she doesn't shoot at least MOA and you don't reload either pillar and skim bed the stock or get a better stock and pillar and skim bed it. Of course free floating the barrel.

Don't become a shootermatic and burn out the barrel fiddling around. That thing doesn't have the longest life expectancy but it is decent.

If you simply don't like the gun then shop around on here for one that may please you.

This one looks like fun: Note be cautious of single digit posters.... Bench 300RUM - For sale/trade

Quality optics trump rifle expenses.

I'd say your goal is to get your current rifle shooting 1/2 MOA and preferably less. Or purchase something that does.

You'll find that your current rig is a sufficient cartridge for anything you wish to do. Both accuracy potential and long range hunting. Validating drops to 1200 or so is good as target shooting gets.

Spend your money wisely.

Just some tho'ts.
This will get you well on your way^

the only thing I would add is get both pf Brian Litz's books available here

Home

A decent rangefinder, a hand held weather station the more data it reads the better, and a good ballistic app for you phone or tablet.

But everything royinidaho said being first on your list.
Keep in mind the animals we shoot for food and display are not bullet proof. Contrary to popular belief, they bleed and die just like they did a hundred years ago. Being competent with a given rifle is far more important than impressive ballistics and poor shootability. High velocity misses never put a steak in the freezer.

Joe
Old 12-22-2012, 10:52 PM

Thanks guy's
Yes I do reload nosler brass berger bullets 94gr of reloader 25 .
at 100yds 3 shoots can most of the time be covered with a quarter
and at 300yds a 50 cent piece. I have a leupold RX750 rangefinder.
I have never shot out past 500yds but would like to start. My goal is to
get set up so I can and was not sure if what I had would be a good start.
thanks for all the good info.
Old 12-24-2012, 04:22 PM
Platinum Member

You've got a good start, you'll need to either shoot at a range that goes farther out, or get a range finder with greater capability, The kestral, and a good mobile app or at the very least print out drop charts, JBM balistics has some pretty good printable calculators.

I also recommend getting familiar with and practicing reticle ranging, you may never need it, and a lazer rangefinder is generally far more precise, but it is a good skill to have and is a pretty confidence booster. Next is learning wind
Keep in mind the animals we shoot for food and display are not bullet proof. Contrary to popular belief, they bleed and die just like they did a hundred years ago. Being competent with a given rifle is far more important than impressive ballistics and poor shootability. High velocity misses never put a steak in the freezer.

Joe