Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Chatting and General Stuff > General Discussion

General Discussion Must wear red or OD green socks to participate. I can't see your socks, please be honest.

Looking to re barrel a Mauser 98?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-29-2013, 10:54 AM
Bronze Member

Looking to re barrel a Mauser 98?

I have a Mauser 98 in 8mm. Bought it when I was younger. Had already been sporterized with a nice stock. I had the bolt handle cut off and reset and a Romney trigger installed. Gun has served me well but I would like to have some more work done to it.
My thoughts
Rebarrel in 30-06 or the ackley variant
Turn bolt handle more since there is little room between handle and scope
Horizontal swing safety
Thinking a 24" barrel

I know this is a rather vanilla build compared to most you see on here but I would like your opinion. I already have a sendero in 25-06 that is very accurate so I was thinking a 30 caliber to tackle larger jobs.

Is the 30-06 AI worth the extra speed you get?

Any other suggestions?
I do reload and this gun would be used mainly for hunting.
Old 12-02-2013, 08:45 AM
Silver Member

Re: Looking to re barrel a Mauser 98?

Quote:
Originally Posted by sean1 View Post
I have a Mauser 98 in 8mm. Bought it when I was younger. Had already been sporterized with a nice stock. I had the bolt handle cut off and reset and a Romney trigger installed. Gun has served me well but I would like to have some more work done to it.
My thoughts
Rebarrel in 30-06 or the ackley variant
Turn bolt handle more since there is little room between handle and scope
Horizontal swing safety
Thinking a 24" barrel

I know this is a rather vanilla build compared to most you see on here but I would like your opinion. I already have a sendero in 25-06 that is very accurate so I was thinking a 30 caliber to tackle larger jobs.

Is the 30-06 AI worth the extra speed you get?

Any other suggestions?
I do reload and this gun would be used mainly for hunting.
If I were you, I would stick to 8mm and get your 98 rebarreled in 8x68S, the beltless European magnum. A fantastic round for almost all hunting purposes from deer to moose including dangerous game. Great brass from both Norma and RWS available. You won't regret it! The only thing your smith might do extra is to open up the bolt head a little bit.
Old 12-02-2013, 10:30 PM
Bronze Member

Well, I was choosing a 30 caliber due to the wide range of bullets available today. High to me is one of the draw backs to the 8mm. Excellent size caliber but just not as much available. Plus, that round might be a bit larger and more recoil than I was looking for
Old 12-03-2013, 09:26 PM

IMHO the plain old 06 is fine. I know you can shoot regular ammo in an AI but the 06 has plenty of speed for hunting.
Old 12-04-2013, 01:41 PM
Silver Member

Mausers are awesome! I have rebarreled 6 of them, 1 was a '96 swede, one was a '48 yugo. I prefer the bold trigger with remington style safety. The adams and bennett barrels shoot awesome! I currently have a remington 798 in 243, an Interarms in 7 mag, and the '96 carl gustaf in 308.
Old 12-05-2013, 11:32 AM
Silver Member

I have an opportunity to buy a Mauser 98 that is still wearing the military stock, all original. I wish I had a borescope so I could take a peek. I would like to get one someday, have it sporterized, but leave it in it's original caliber just so I can say I have one. The action still ran smooth, but that was about all I could tell be looking at it.
Old 12-05-2013, 05:24 PM
Bronze Member

Thanks for all the replies. So far my list includes
Shilen barrel
Model 70 style safety
New bolt handle
Boyd's laminate stock
Bead blast finish
Already has timney trigger
Square lugs and bolt face

Anything else I should be looking at doing? My first custom rifle. I want to do it right.