close
Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Chatting and General Stuff > General Discussion

General Discussion Must wear red or OD green socks to participate. I can't see your socks, please be honest.

Looking for advice on Bullets

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 04-30-2010, 11:54 AM
Platinum Member

Re: Looking for advice on Bullets

Quote:
Originally Posted by 300magman View Post
JLK ? - - I'm unfamiliar with that one, who makes it?

As for the bergers and Amax, have enough people put these to the test in the field to now reliably say they are "proven" game bullets? A while back I kept reading a lot of mixed reviews as to thier actual terminal performance...(some people argued they were perfect, others would say were target bullets and couldn't humanly be counted on to always put down an animal in its tracks) ..... but those BCs sure are tempting.
Here's a recent Thread with user experiences posted on the Hornady Amax. The Amax fits into the camp of the very long range game bullet better than your closer range bullet of choice.

A-Max Hunting Bullet?

Unread 04-30-2010, 06:10 PM
Gold Member

All big game I have ever shot except my first doe has been with either an A-max or Berger VLD. The amax will expand well at low impact velocities. Haven't tried it in any big magnums. I use in it my .308win. I use 210 VLDs in my 300 win mag and ackley mag. The bergers are devestating! But not one animal I have shot with the A-max wa left alive either.
Unread 05-03-2010, 11:51 PM
Gold Member

The responders are right on, what they gave for advice,,,, you wont fo wrong.

I use Hornaday bullets A-MAX and SSTs in my .3006 and my .308 I like my 165gr Bullet
any other in 220gr Bullets..With My rifle they are very accurate..thats because I found the best load, length, priner and the case. you will find the best for you..
Don't pass on the Berger there an A+ Bullet.