Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Chatting and General Stuff > General Discussion

General Discussion Must wear red or OD green socks to participate. I can't see your socks, please be honest.

Looking for advice on building a custom rifle

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-10-2005, 12:54 AM
Bronze Member

Looking for advice on building a custom rifle

Still interested in the 6-284 but I am not sure what platform to start with Ie:action barrel maker etc.. also who do you guys recommend for a gunsmith I have heard and read lots of good things about kirby allen. Any recommendations.. My only requirment is to end up with a kickass ultra long range varmint rig.. As of now all my thunder sticks are factory jobs tikka's m70 Stealth, XR 100 etc so I really am new to this custom thing...
Old 08-10-2005, 01:28 AM
daveosok

Re: Looking for advice on building a custom rifle

Your questions asks for numerous possibilities.
Truly custom rifle action, Nesika, Bat, Stolle, and a few others are out their but the Rem 700 is hard to beat for cost and ease of accurizing, winchesters are also good. A well accurized rem 700 action although not as robust as the other actions has proven itself through benchrest shooting and also long range shooting matches. It is one of the most popular actions out their and loads of upgrades are available.
Barrel makers, Keirger, Hart, Douglas, Shilen, Lilja, Pacnor, Broughton, Mike Rock, Black Star, Lothar Walther, a loads more all good barrel maker none are in any order of sorts just all great barrels.
Gunsmiths, Kirby, Chris, GA Precision, Jiff Hicks, loads of them out their pick one you'll not go wrong with any of them.
Some calibers would be any of the smaller in dia Allen Magnums as usually varmint means smaller bullet diameter, 257 STW, 7mm STW, 25-06, 6.5-284, 260 rem, the list could go on and on.
Not all of my suggestions would make everyones top three list but all of them will get you good shooting rifles capable of doing what your asking of it.
JM2C
Dave
Old 08-10-2005, 06:49 AM
Platinum Member

You forgot Shawn Carlock up in Idaho and the 22 hornet is good to at least 640 yds. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
Old 08-10-2005, 08:00 AM
Official LRH Sponsor

Varmicide,

The 6-284 is a great varmint round as is the 25-284. I have yet to have one of my 6mm-284s not average well under 1/2 moa and generally they are extremely tight shooting rifles.

If you want some more information on my shop drop me an e-mail at kballen@3rivers.net

The 6-284 is a great round and a very impressive long range round as well when built correctly for this use.

Receivers to use are first off the Rem 700. The XR-100 is also a great platform but with the Long VLD and ULD bullets youmay need to pull the bolt to extract a live round if needed. The solid bottom receiver certainly has its advantages in strength and consistancy.

Kirby Allen(50)

Allen Precision Shooting
Home of the Allen Magnum, Allen Xpress and Allen Tactical Wildcats and the Painkiller Muzzle brakes.

Farther, Faster and Flatter then ever before.

Web Page: www.apsrifles.com

allenmagnum@gmail.com
Old 08-10-2005, 12:30 PM
Writers Guild

hey there fellow Canuck, let's see if I can help.

Savage/Steven actions are great as a base. The Stevens 200 at SIR/Wholesale are dirt cheap. The Rem 700SPS also makes a good donor but $125 to 150 more. I am using a few Savage/Stevens actions for my LR BR rigs and have been very pleased with how they shoot.

If you want custom, PGW is your best option. Probably not too far from you either. Give them a shout. They can do a great install too. Lots of quality gunsmiths in Canada.

For barrels, you can look at Gaillard, Smith, McClennan. Top level BR quality and no hassles of import. I have used a couple of Gaillards and they shoot.

The 6-284 is a screamer but will be hard on barrels. Unless you plan on using 105/107gr bullets at max velocity, you give up little with smaller cases in performance.

I shot a 6BR with a Gaillard and 87gr Vmax bullets at 3200fps. No issue popping clay pigeons at 750+yds. Throat life is about 5 times as much as the 284 version.

The 243 and 6rem are also excellent choices. At long range, the difference in 100 to 200fps of muzzle velocity is pretty irrelevant. BC of bullets matter more.

If you plan on going beyond 800yds in the wind, you should consider the 6.5 or 7mm. Even the best 6mm bullets are not as good as these other VLD designs. Wildcat bullets might change all that but for now, these are your best LR varminting choice.

You can also read other posts on the MOAG and magnum monsters used to dispatch little furries at extreme distances. Might be a bit much to start off with.

Hope this helps. Not meaning to turn you off using a US supplier or smith but the import export requirements will drive you insane.

Jerry
Old 08-10-2005, 05:51 PM

Well as usual, My vote goes for the Rem 700 action and the work done by Chris Matthews of Longshot rifles. He posts here on this board alot

http://longrangehunting.com/ubbthrea...p;page=0#78488

Joe
Old 08-11-2005, 08:06 AM
Silver Member

6-284 a very good caliber, I just bought a custom built on a Mauser 98 action you would have a hard time finding a cheaper action. This gun is old and definitely custom but what a shooter the smith who built it (J.P. Campbell) is gone but there are several good ones on the site that can help you, as to another action to work off of Savage is hard to beat.