Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Chatting and General Stuff > General Discussion

General Discussion Must wear red or OD green socks to participate. I can't see your socks, please be honest.

Look out!! I'm heading to Colorado for elk in a month.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-10-2005, 10:18 AM
Platinum Member

Look out!! I\'m heading to Colorado for elk in a month.

Looks like my schedule is aligned correctly so I can wedge in a elk hunt in Colorado. Cheryl and I will head out about the 12th or 13th of October and figure to be back home about the 23rd. Currently I'm planning on a little side trip so I have a little extra time set aside, first season is 15 - 19 October (inclusive). I'm going to hunt near the New Mexico border in Conejos county, we'll set up camp Friday the 14th at (37.00726 -106.26727) and then spend the last day or two of season at the Narrow Guage Motel in Antonito. I figure to head up toward Gunnison to visit a Texican friend camped near the east base of Sheep Mountain (37.94511 -106.68999) near the La Garita Wilderness in Saguache county.

I'll be taking along 'The Monkey Blaster' (375 H&H) as my primary rifle and a trusty 308 Win for backup. I have an either sex tag so someone should end up with some meat (probably my hosts, the Montoya family over in Manassa, CO)

Should be a good trip and I'll sock away about $2.3 billion ahead of time so I'll be sure to have enough money for truck fuel.
Old 09-10-2005, 01:24 PM
Platinum Member

Re: Look out!! I\'m heading to Colorado for elk in a month.

Dave King,
Goodness, you'll really be close the the border, if my calcs are right, on a 180 bearing will put you 90 to the border line with New Mexico and only 1589 yards away. It might be a little to far away though for the 'The Monkey Blaster' [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img] I also will be Elk hunting in Colorado, Season: 11/16/05--11/20/05 Units: 071, 072, 076, 711. It's only for bull Elk and will be using my well liked 300 RUM with 200 grn Accubond... @ 3189 f/s good enough for me. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img] Dave, if you figure a way to spend less than $2.3 billion in fuel please let me know. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] Also you should be able to get a lot of Conejos in that place. Good Luck and Good Hunting to you.

Javier O Moncada.

-----------------------------
HEBREWS 13:8
Jesus Christ the same yesterday, and to day, and for ever.

Our Lord Jesus said that as it was in the days of Noah and
also as it was in the days of Lot so it shall be in the days...
It's happening again!!! God sent to us His prophet, and His Word
to this generation and we once more are rejecting it as was prophesied!!!

---> As promised, God Sent His Prophet to us!
Old 09-10-2005, 05:23 PM
Platinum Member

We come up to the hunting camp site going west from Antonito then (sw) at Mogote past Canon then left turn at the 'T' intersection. The 'road' leads us up the mountain and we cross into Rio Arriba county (New Mexico) then back into Conejos country and turn off (north) at the first major (improved) jeep trail.

We also hunt over near Pinon Hills (37.13728 -105.80249) Sego Springs and Flat Top. Mostly it's just a vacation as I have little need for the meat, my wife and I just like the time in the mountains, camping, the camp fire stories and meeting new folks.

The Monkey Blaster is a little short on range for a 1500 yard shot but it'll do a 600 yard without a problem. I'm using 260 Accubonds at just a little over 2800fps and I have the Leupold M3/LR (3.5x10) set for the load.

I have yet to see a rabbit there but I've seen a few mule deer, some antelope and elk.

I just made reservations at the Narrow Guage Motel for the 17th-19th, got the 'commercial' rate (given to hunters) of $41 per night. Looks like I'll only sleep in a tent 3 nights but they'll be memorable none-the-less.

Good luck to you on your hunt.
Old 09-10-2005, 05:53 PM
Platinum Member

Some of the best grouse shooting I ever got into was while scouting for elk. The blues and ruffs both had congregated out in a meadow and were feasting on grasshoppers. We both got a limit in about 15 minutes.

I would throw a 20 gauge and a box of #6s in the gear pile somewhere. No such thing as having too much fun. Grouse is much more tasty than track soup from my personal experience. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]
Old 09-11-2005, 05:26 AM
Platinum Member

Any of u guys passing thru Pueblo let me know so i can buy you lunch, dinner, whatever-- 719-564-5609
Old 09-11-2005, 06:02 AM
Platinum Member

Several years back on a hunt up in the La Garita there were a lot of Blue grouse but down in Conejos I don't recall seeing any. I'm not too much on bird hunting, sometimes I do a little Ruffed grouse hunting when I visit Wisconsin just to reseed childhood memories.

I'll keep an eye out for them though and maybe on another trip I'll give it a try.

20 gauge?? I thought a 20 was for girls, small boys and Air Force types... I have a 12, two of them in fact, I shoot one from each shoulder and only use magnum loads. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

sscoyote.. We'll see if I can slow down enough for a stop. It's just not in my nature to slow the truck down once I'm on a roll. I figure to travel about 1000 miles each day and that'll stick Pueblo in the middle of a run on the way out. Maybe on the way back as I don't have a fixed short run return date.
Old 09-11-2005, 06:06 AM

Hey Dave,

THere will be a bunch of us just a bit north of ya from the 3rd to the 16th of Oct. in the Medicine Bow area of Wyo. Hunting goats and mulies...if ya swing through let us know...!