Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Chatting and General Stuff > General Discussion

General Discussion Must wear red or OD green socks to participate. I can't see your socks, please be honest.

Long range solo

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 12-15-2007, 09:20 PM
Silver Member
Long range solo

Hey fella's just a question for you, how many of you shoot long range solo? I had a buddy that him and I shot all the time then like most things he moved away so it's been a bit difficult to find someone around here that has a clue what long range is and what needs to be done for spotting and the other goodies not to mention the trust factor. I'm tired of waiting and looking for another partner to shoot with so I'm thinking about just going it solo but I was wondering how many here were doing the same thing? I'm not fishin for a shooting partner just wondering how much more difficult it was for you. Later,

Sorry forgot to put on my OD socks! don't be mad :-)

Last edited by Ksmirk; 12-15-2007 at 09:33 PM.

Unread 12-15-2007, 09:48 PM
Silver Member
I shoot alone some of the time, You just need to rig your targets up where you can see impacts even if you miss. There are a few guys on here from your area I am sure you could shoot with them sometimes. If your ever down my way I will shoot with you.
Unread 12-15-2007, 09:59 PM
Platinum Member
As my time is my own and most others are on some kind of a fixed schedule I do most of my drop chart development, etc solo.

Thus I'm not constrained by other's time/availability etc. Plus the communications problems are less;) Ya know, "the other left".

Spoting shots isn't too difficult as I only shot a two or maybe a 3 shot group out to 1200 yds and they leave holes in the paper.

I was recently counseled to quit shooting at gongs and being satisfied with just hitting it. Now I put the target in front of the gong and get the satisfaction of the thwack plus the group size.

For the same reasons my long range hunting, this winter is solo also. My goal is to be set up so that I can spot every shot myself. So far, so good.
I may be the slowest guy on the mountain . . . . but . . . . I'm on the mountain!
Unread 12-15-2007, 10:16 PM
I have no problem practicing long range alone, though it is nice to have someone watching the bullet trace and looking for impact splash. As for long range hunting alone i have done it but it is signifcantly harder. Having someone there to help glass for game and someone to be giving you constant ranges sure makes things a heck of a lot easier.

Steve Elmenhorst
Third Generation Shooting Supply
"Products for shooters, by shooters"
monday-friday 8:30-5:30 CST
Unread 12-15-2007, 11:33 PM
Silver Member
I do all of my long range hunting and practicing on my own. The main reason is the guys I hunt with think it is unethical to take a shot over 400 yards. But I have watched them try to sneek up on deer and have watched the deer run away. Plus, they do not put the time and money into good equipent to me able to make these shots.

Firearms stand next in importance to the Constitution itself. They are the American people's liberty teeth and keystone under independence. The very atmosphere of firearms everywhere restrains evil interference. - George Washington

Peace is that brief glorious moment in history when everybody stands around reloading.' -Unknown
Unread 12-16-2007, 12:02 AM
I have done a fair amount of LRH solo and even gotton film of it but it is 10x more difficult to do solo. Few things beat having a good hunting partner. Some sitiuatiuons it makes the difference between getting a shot and not.
Shawn Carlock
Unread 12-16-2007, 12:15 AM
Silver Member
Finding a good spotter is tough..I shoot alone quite often. I think its much easier to practice with a low recoiling rifle, allowing you to see you bullet trail and watch hits. When checking drop charts I use BIG target at least 3'x3' or bigger if I can find it. I also am going to start using those shoot'n'see targets at longer ranges. I have a 30''x30" steel plate that weighs 90lbs :eek: and can see bullet splats at 1000 yards on good days.

I get along with myself just fine,too. ;)