Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Chatting and General Stuff > General Discussion

General Discussion Must wear red or OD green socks to participate. I can't see your socks, please be honest.

Long Range Shoot - Proposal - South East Idaho

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-12-2005, 11:14 PM
Platinum Member

Long Range Shoot - Proposal - South East Idaho

Even though its huntin season, though its hot and windy around here, its never too soon to plan.

Here's the proposal:

Long Range Hunting Shoot. To at least 1000 yds.
Range is well developed to 500 Meters. (Buffalo gunners)

You guys work with me to design the shoot, generally. Targets, fees, number of days, rules, etc. Or just a fun shootin' day to keep the industry afloat.

I'm kind of thinking simple here. Carry rifles, sticks/bipods shooting at critter cut outs (can't spell silouette [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]) Whatever ya'll think, hell I donno...

Location is Blackfoot, Idaho. Anyone familiar w/I-15 North of Blackfoot. The range is west of the Hell's Half Acre rest area. Blackfoot has all necessary accomodations. (Yeh, right)

This is just a feeler to see if its worth pursuing....

Here's a couple of shot of the place.....

Old 11-14-2005, 12:25 AM
Platinum Member

Re: Long Range Shoot - Proposal - South East Idaho

Count me in.

I would like to see one of these shoots in say..February. Not much going on that month (especially if you're single) and the barrels cool down better then. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

Diesel fuel mixtures are fun to shoot at as well as different sized gongs.

I would also like to see sporter/hunting classes, factory classes, unlimited classes, and maybe even some off-hand classes. A shoot we have here in Utah combines all these types and it is quite fun and gives something for everyone to enjoy.

Whatdaya think?
Pull it
Dump it

If it's not far, it's boring.
Old 11-14-2005, 01:04 AM
Platinum Member

[ QUOTE ]
unlimited classes

[/ QUOTE ]

why not have a 52 pound > .30 cal class? [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]

I might be remotely interested in competing in a stock class or in a bipod / sticks class if the shoot was a one day event.

I would go without question if Shawn Carlock, 50 Driver and GG were competing head to head in any class. (not to offend any other prominent shooters here here but they are within a days drive of the intended range And I have had a strong interest in some aspect of their shooting equipment.)

How about a gunsmith class where the smith has to use a gun of any caliber that they built OR a wildcat class where the shooter has to shoot any gun they want chambered for a cartridge they designed?
Old 11-14-2005, 09:24 AM
Platinum Member

Here are two different sets of rules that you can think about.

Mifflin Ghog shoots are by weigth of gun only and a factory rifle has little chance against a light benchrest gun or a full custom.

Policing guns to determine who has a factory barrel but a custom chamber and trigger and accuracizing job is not really feasible. Unfortunately there are people who believe that another mantle trinket is worth more than their honor (not me because I just go to the trophy store and have them engrave me a trophy whenever I want one).

Anyway here are two website that have different rules for shoots such as yours

Ghog 1

Ghog 2

It would be just a little too far for me to drive, so I guess no one has to worry about me winning all of the mantle trinkets. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
Old 11-14-2005, 09:47 AM
Silver Member

Sounds like fun

GG Where and when is this Utah shoot?
Who sponsors it?

Keep us posted if you pull it together, with dates and times.

CAM
Old 11-14-2005, 11:50 AM
Platinum Member

There is actually two in Utah. Both are explosive shoots. The newest one is in the tiny town of La Sal inbetween Moab and Monticello. It is in February I believe and they shoot at paint cans full of explosive taped to a cedar tree at 900 yards. It is not terribly difficult but there are lots of explosions to watch so it is good for spectators.

The one I shoot every year is in Elsinore, Utah just south of Richfield. It is called the Kimberly Kaboom. If you run a search on it you will find some pics of last year's event. They also have a website. I usually find it on Google.

It is sponsered by the town of Elsinore and the Elsinore volunteer fire dept. It is put on by Kevin Moore.

They have several classes and each class is at a different range. Ex: Factory rifles shoot out to about 450 yards, off handers are at 100 yards, and the unlimited shooters are at 850-900 yards. To compete in the factory class, you must have your scope on 6x and your barrel must be under 5/8" diameter at the muzzle.

There are <font color="red">No rangefinders allowed! </font>

All targets are explosive and all are 2" diameter regardless of the range. That's right, we shoot at a golf ball sized target at 900 yards! It is damn tough. THere have only been 5 guys who have hit it so far, uncle b, myself, a local guy from Richfield, a guy from Vegas, and a guy from Fayette.

The reason it is so hard to hit (aside from the less than 1/4 moa target) is because there is no backer and the target is bolted to a stake about three feet in the air. The explosive is taped inside a 2" diameter tailpipe piece and is not angled for the traj of the bullet. Uncle B actually hit the lip of the cylinder last spring and spun it right off the stake and the stinking thing didn't blow up because the bullet couldn't enter the pipe!

You also only get two shots each turn and then it is back to the end of the line. By the time you get to the front again, the wind has changed completely and your first shot is a sighter every time. That gives you really just one shot to nail it!

After the shoot, I asked if I could go inspect the target with the coordinators and they agreed. I was shocked to see how everything was setup out there and told the guys they need to make a few changes to make things fair. They agreed and the next shoot will have a steel backer and have the pipe angled up a little.

THere were bullet holes all over in that pipe (and all along the stake too) and the explosive never went off! That tends to tick a guy off when he is paying $2 a shot and never has a chance. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img] Anyway, no one hit it last spring. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/mad.gif[/img] There were however numerous hits at the 400 yard stuff.
Pull it
Dump it

If it's not far, it's boring.
Old 11-14-2005, 03:38 PM
Silver Member

Thanks GG
found the link www.elsinoreutah.com/kimberly_kaboom_high_power.htm

Looks like they have 2 a year and we just missed the November one. I remember you talking about it last spring also.

CAM