Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Chatting and General Stuff > General Discussion

General Discussion Must wear red or OD green socks to participate. I can't see your socks, please be honest.

Long Range is a realitive thing.....

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-30-2006, 06:28 PM
Gold Member

Re: Long Range is a realitive thing.....

Thanks guy's, the boy is a real treat to be around. He simply loves to be in the woods and doing anything outdoor related.

I have no doubts that one day he will succeed in what ever he sets his mind to.

Yep the memories all come flooding back to me as well. My Pop and Uncle would always have something similar set up for us every years as well. Even if we didn't get to take a gun along, just being out there with them and learing the different things was more than enough.

Several weeks back, the wife and I set up a two person tree stand, just about 50 yds back of a feeder. It is in some really heavy stuff, and the hogs were on it overnight. When we set up the stand, I only used the first section of ladder which puts it up about 4 or so feet off the ground. This should make for a great spot for him to pick one of the football sized ones off.

We'll see come next weekend or so.

My Photo's

"Heck why would I lie, most folks don't believe the truth when I tell them"
Old 11-01-2006, 09:32 PM
SPONSOR

[img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img] [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img] [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img] [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img] [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img] [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

After reading this story, that is really all I could do. Just sit here and [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]!!
Old 11-01-2006, 09:58 PM
Silver Member

Started my grandson with the 60% loads suggested in HOgdon's pages; he is a happy camper. Well done,son. Overbore [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img]
Old 11-02-2006, 08:38 PM
Gold Member

Bill,

It will only seem like it was yesterday when yours gets up there as well. Trust me, the years go by faster and faster. Just remeber to keep it short and let them have fun doing it and they will grow to it like ducks on water.

The thing I see more than anything is folks who try to force things on their kids. I learned that more times than not, they learn to resent this and want nothing to do with it.

Both the daughter and grandson were taken out with us from day one to do things. Yea it was a pain in the backside sometimes, but even one Easter weekend fishing/camping trip, was saved by the Easter Armadillo, thats the Bunny's helper ya know. A few plasitc eggs and such scattered about the camp, and things were fine. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

Just had to fish or hunt a little and then play in the dirt, or chase bugs or look for little things to keep them interested. Even if it meant quitting the intended agenda. Shoot even had to stop work on the house once to sit down and just drive some nails through a piece of plywood. IT was just what the grandson needed to feel included, and then content to hustling more nails for me.

OB,
Yep same load, 125gr BT with 38 grs of 4895. Tames that little mule right down fine. Full house loads in it I don't even like to shoot from a bench. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

One thing that has been pointed out to me is that we might have to find him a black sock hat to tone down that hair a bit. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

My Photo's

"Heck why would I lie, most folks don't believe the truth when I tell them"
Old 11-08-2006, 01:48 AM
Bronze Member

It is great to see the kids shooting and shooting well. I cannot wait until mine moves up from her BB gun with her cut off stock! She is only 2.5 but she is pretty good so far.

I say major props to you for getting him started and teaching him all the things he will need to know. He will really appreciate it as he grows older.

Also I have something you may want to try with him. My Dad did this with me for many years to help with my practice sesions. This works with a shotgun or rifle. I started when I was 4 with a 222 savage with the barrell and stock cut to nothing!

When he is shooting hold the rifle where he cannot see it. Take the ammo and rattle it around but sometimes do not load the rifle. This way he never knows when there is a live round in the gun. This will stop him from flinching and teach him to squeeze the trigger. It should become a game for him to see how smoothl he can break the trigger and it lets you actually see what is happening when he is squeezing it.

Not sure if it will work for him but, it sure worked for me and I really appreciate it to this day.