Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Chatting and General Stuff > General Discussion

General Discussion Must wear red or OD green socks to participate. I can't see your socks, please be honest.

Long Range is a realitive thing.....

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-30-2006, 05:24 AM
Gold Member

Long Range is a realitive thing.....

Well the past couple of trips up, the grandson has been getting in a little bit of shooting practice. I loaded up some 125gr reduced loads for my Ruger Compact 308, and pulled out an old M1 Carbine that I had stuck away that my pop sporterized back in the early 60's.

So the first time out, we shot the .308 first, and after three shots the boy decided that was enough, and we tried the carbine. He liked it much better and ran off around 10 rounds before calling it quits.

I took them both up again this weekend and we set up down in the pasture at our range. From the target we drove up 50 yds and set him up in the back of the truck. We do all of the checks, maing sure he is holding things properly and positioned comfortable. Then the fireing sequence go as follows, are you on target, " I got it right where I want it PAwpa". Ok I am taking it off safety, no wait till I say, "OK pawpa, hurry I want to shoot". Ok when your "BOOM".

First rattle out of the box he was shooting the little M1 and puts one damn near in the bull of the orange sticker. THen we move up to the 308. He started off a little high, but this was due to the anticipated recoil. After that though he worked it right down to the bull. He isn't quite as confident as it kicks more, but with the way he was shooting, I am hopefule that some pot bellied corn crunchiing shoat will hit the dirt in the next couple of weekends.

It isn't stretching the limits of the rifle, but for a 5 year old, 50 yards is a long ways. I am sure it won't be long till I will be skinning out his critters, and hopefully he will grow to enjoy the shooting, and the outdoors as much as I have through the years.

My Photo's

"Heck why would I lie, most folks don't believe the truth when I tell them"
Old 10-30-2006, 05:42 AM
Silver Member

Re: Long Range is a realitive thing.....

[img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] Thats good shooting, hope he gets one!

Chris
Old 10-30-2006, 05:43 AM
Silver Member

Way to go, Mike!

Good shooting by your grandson. Nothing wrong with being accurate at 50 yards, there are plenty of adults who refuse to take the time to do it consistently. Iím sure his confidence & ability will continue to grow just as he will, & having a good mentor will make it much better for the both of you.
Dave
Old 10-30-2006, 10:28 AM
Gold Member

I wish somebody was loading reduced loads for a 308 when I was 5! I had to wait until I was 6 to shoot at all... and 12 before I had my own rifle

Good job for spending the time to make it enjoyable for them!
Old 10-30-2006, 03:53 PM
Platinum Member

Mike / Tx:

Great pictures!!! [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] They say it all.

Looks like you have a hunting partner for good now. He's getting started right and has a great teacher. Congratulations to you for doing a fantatic job. You've got a grandson you can be proud of.

I'd say the piggies are in big trouble. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img] [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img] [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
Old 10-30-2006, 04:30 PM
Platinum Member

Mike,
Thanks for sharing - I sure enjoyed seeing that youngster shooting from the back of your truck! You are blessed.

Good luck to both of you. Brings back a lot of memories...
Old 10-30-2006, 06:28 PM
Gold Member

abinok

I know what you mean, shoot I just wished that pop liked something other than his O3A3 when I was growing up. That thing kicked like a mule.

I did however learn to shoot and get my first deer using the same M1 that the grandson was shooting this weekend. So I guess things have come full circle through 3 generations.

My Photo's

"Heck why would I lie, most folks don't believe the truth when I tell them"