Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Chatting and General Stuff > General Discussion

General Discussion Must wear red or OD green socks to participate. I can't see your socks, please be honest.

long range and Indiana living don't match

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-25-2008, 02:08 PM
Silver Member

long range and Indiana living don't match

Hello guys
I don't know where everyone lives but from a lot of the forums i read it not in Indiana. One of my biggest issues is that i am a Precision nut. close just means it almost their. That being said I would love to have Shawn or Kirby to build me an 338 edge or 338AM but i could never really shoot it here and get the potential out of the weapon. I have been looking at the 6.5 creedmoore but no one builds the gun except creedmoore (tubbs) and if I am going to spend that kind of money why not just go all the way and get the ultimate 338's. I do go to Wyoming every year to hunt mule deer and antelope... but my custom 270 fits the bill ( somewhat) not as accurate as i would like. 3/4 moa. with hand loads. I really don't want a caliber that i have to fire form because i don't have that equipment and mainly the experiance of doing it. Not many wildcat shooters in Indiana. just not sure what i want ( sounds like a woman).. anyway my question is in your own opinion how much should a person shoot (long range) once a week, once a month, I know the true answer is as much as you can... which i would if I lived where i could. 300 yards is pretty long in Indiana and not really bragging but that is really not a big issue for me.
Sorry for this being so long i just get all rapped up when i read some of your guys great stories and the precision of some of your shots.
Old 10-26-2008, 07:58 PM
Bronze Member

Re: long range and Indiana living don't match

Living in Indiana has to be tough for a long range shooter...

...go west young man...
Old 10-26-2008, 08:20 PM
Silver Member

I second that - go west.

I wish I could. Some day, if I am lucky, I will retire out west.
Old 10-26-2008, 08:33 PM
Bronze Member

Although I do not live in Indiana, I have the same grievances with Kentucky. 300 yard shot is usually 100 yards onto some one elses property. On a lighter note, next spring I am moving west to Colorado. Yall should join me!!
Old 10-26-2008, 10:23 PM
Silver Member

I don't even want to hear about it.....you guys have a 1k range:Young's Longshot Range, Inc.

I might have to start making trips there myself.
Old 10-29-2008, 07:11 PM
Silver Member

i hear you, missouri is iffy, some big fields if you know someone taht owns them. but im moving to CO in january!
Old 11-06-2008, 11:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wadevb1 View Post
I don't even want to hear about it.....you guys have a 1k range:Young's Longshot Range, Inc.

I might have to start making trips there myself.
I'm a member... it the nicest range I've ever been a member of. Indiana and long range are very compatible.