Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Chatting and General Stuff > General Discussion

General Discussion Must wear red or OD green socks to participate. I can't see your socks, please be honest.

Long range build on tight budget???

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-01-2013, 01:51 PM

Long range build on tight budget???

Hey guys, first post!

I recently retired my savage as my primary deer rifle and would like to get into some "long range" target shooting. And by long range im only talking 300 to 500 yards since here in south east Ky 100 yards is a loooooong shot on a whitetail. I recently started handloading and would like to work up some loads and see what I can hit that far out. My rifle is a bone stock Savage 110 .270Win Accu trigger synthetic stock. I know i need a good scope, which I dont have cause the only one I have is on my Marlin now. Do I really need to sink a lot of money into this gun as far as barrel changes and stocks?
Old 03-01-2013, 04:11 PM
Platinum Member

Re: Long range build on tight budget???

4-16x44 vortex viper, is all you need with that rifle, I wouldn't even bother with a barrel till it quits shooting. 3-500yrds is right in the 270's sweet spot
Keep in mind the animals we shoot for food and display are not bullet proof. Contrary to popular belief, they bleed and die just like they did a hundred years ago. Being competent with a given rifle is far more important than impressive ballistics and poor shootability. High velocity misses never put a steak in the freezer.

Joe
Old 03-01-2013, 04:15 PM

Thanks Joe
Old 03-01-2013, 04:30 PM

All of my guns are factory with the exception of some trigger work. Browning A bolt, two Savages and a Rem. All of the shoot 1/2 moa or less. I would recomend a quality scope. I use the Nikon Monarch. Very clear pulls in light very well and the clicks always move the exact amount.