Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Chatting and General Stuff > General Discussion

General Discussion Must wear red or OD green socks to participate. I can't see your socks, please be honest.

logic fault?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-23-2011, 10:45 AM
Platinum Member

Re: logic fault?

Quote:
Originally Posted by SBruce View Post
Your math is correct, assuming a 45 degree angle.
The pythagorean theorem (A-squared + B-squared = C-squared) applies to right-triangles. So it actually, requires a 90 degree angle (the angle formed by A and B). The other two angles (formed by A/C and B/C) can be different than 45s.
Old 06-23-2011, 05:38 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by trebark View Post
The pythagorean theorem (A-squared + B-squared = C-squared) applies to right-triangles. So it actually, requires a 90 degree angle (the angle formed by A and B). The other two angles (formed by A/C and B/C) can be different than 45s.
That's right, and I knew that. Guess I shoud've worded it differently. I was assuming 45 degree angle just because he stated 900 below and 900 away.
One of the sides would have to be a different length for the angle to be something other than 45 if it were a true right-triangle.

Good catch.

Last edited by SBruce; 06-23-2011 at 05:58 PM.
Old 06-24-2011, 10:42 AM
Silver Member

Fun subject, sort of the meat and potatoes of long range shooting. It's even more fun or frustrating useing bullets that never went to school, they only receive 2 seconds of flight training. I'm pretty sure my buddy will progress a lot faster if I can talk him into going to a LR shooting class that has a formal structure.
Old 06-24-2011, 10:49 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ken snyder View Post
Fun subject, sort of the meat and potatoes of long range shooting. It's even more fun or frustrating useing bullets that never went to school, they only receive 2 seconds of flight training. I'm pretty sure my buddy will progress a lot faster if I can talk him into going to a LR shooting class that has a formal structure.
Get him to take a class or....set up a 12" steel plate at 600 yards and when he hears the first 'ping' he will be hooked!
Old 06-24-2011, 12:36 PM
Silver Member

Hello Treebark. Shooting gongs and my favorite "tic tac toe" with cheap bottles of cola ( we remove our trash as do all good shooters) is a very fun off season hobby. It's addictive and thought worthy. Getting people to that competitive point is rewarding. I have an extremely difficult time in getting people past that point. I have an extremely hard time teaching the supportive and necessary fluff that distinguishes a shooter from the target wise. If I were a better instructor I could turn people into something better than marksmen or sharp shooters. I am very proud to help people to this point but I am totally incompetent to teach beyond this level. The school of hard knocks has taught me well' but after point X they should go to a school named something other than " hard knocks." However my opinions on this are based on my own inabilities and not the ability of others.