Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Chatting and General Stuff > General Discussion

General Discussion Must wear red or OD green socks to participate. I can't see your socks, please be honest.

**** lodge/masons oaths ****

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-15-2010, 01:14 PM
Platinum Member

Re: **** lodge/masons oaths ****

I have a real good book that takes different versions of the bible and shows were they error it compares the NKJV to a KJV and other revised versions, if anyone is interested pm me and I can copy some of the info I may even have an extra if so I would send it to you free of charge. or I could just post it

Bigbuck
Old 01-15-2010, 01:30 PM
Platinum Member

Amen to that, 308.

"And can the liberties of a nation be thought secure when we have removed their only firm basis, a conviction in the minds of the people that these liberties are the gift of God?" Thomas Jefferson - Notes on the State of Virginia

www.wildsidesystems.com - Shelter for Your WildSide - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tYwgo...&feature=g-upl
Old 01-15-2010, 01:51 PM
Gold Member

My dad is well versed in Hebrew and Greek and has several Hebrew bibles for cross reference. Translating is a difficult job as words change meaning and lose importance or gain importance in meaning. I think knowledge is good, just beware that knowledge can puff up, but love builds up. I believe the KJV is a very accurate translation as well as some others. .
A difficult part in translating from language to language is there are different amounts of letters in different alphabets, so in translating from one language to another you will find some slight differences. I do feel accuracy is important, but I do not feel everyone should have to learn Hebrew and Greek to become a Christan as by taking it to KJV you may as well take it back to Hebrew and Greek
I do have a problem of translations being made from other translations and on and on or by one man as this can have a bad effect. I feel they should be made by a large group of knowledgeable scholars devoted to extreme accuracy I have been around a few KJV only people and feel some have a stronger worship for KJV than they do for God. Even the KJV is very easy to misinterpret. There are many things in the bible that can only be understood through the holy spirit's working in our spirit. If you feel the KJV is the only inspired word of God, this is where we will strongly differ.

But, thanks for the discussion.

308nate

Last edited by 308 nate; 01-15-2010 at 01:56 PM.
Old 01-15-2010, 02:17 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 308 nate View Post
My dad is well versed in Hebrew and Greek and has several Hebrew bibles for cross reference. Translating is a difficult job as words change meaning and lose importance or gain importance in meaning. I think knowledge is good, just beware that knowledge can puff up, but love builds up. I believe the KJV is a very accurate translation as well as some others. .
A difficult part in translating from language to language is there are different amounts of letters in different alphabets, so in translating from one language to another you will find some slight differences. I do feel accuracy is important, but I do not feel everyone should have to learn Hebrew and Greek to become a Christan as by taking it to KJV you may as well take it back to Hebrew and Greek
I do have a problem of translations being made from other translations and on and on as this can have a bad effect. I have been around a few KJV only people and feel some have a stronger worship for KJV than they do for God. Even the KJV is very easy to misinterpret. There are many things in the bible that can only be understood through the holy spirit's working in our spirit. If you feel the KJV is the only inspired word of God, this is where we will strongly differ.

But, thanks for the discussion.

308nate
Well said, again.

We must be careful to clearly understand the philosophy of those behind the translation and the reason they are taking on the work of a translation as some part of this philosphy will come through whether the philosophy is to be as literally accurate to the original Hebrew and Greek or to make it more understandable to our current language set, or to make it fit with the current thinking of the modern culture, etc. The latter being a very dangerous thing.

There is a great deal of evidence to suggest that current versions like the English Standard Version (ESV) or New International Version (NIV) are more accurate that some older versions (the ESV particularly putting emphasis on more exact translation from the original) such as the KJV only due to the fact that the current body of research and evidence, properly handled, is much greater and growing and from a wider number of carefully compared manuscripts with a greater degree of understanding than when the KJV was translated. So, I do not believe that, too much effort or stock on the whole, should be put into the KJV vs. other versions argument. Others will disagree, but I do not believe it should be a central tenent of Christian apologetics--defense of the faith.

I've been through these arguments and books on the subjedt before and have seen my father deal with these issues in his churches over the years. It's a interesting discussion, but no hill to die on.

Regardless, these versions mentioned are 99.9% in agreement and and vary only in very minor areas of language translation, the central tenets of belief being 100% aligned.

"And can the liberties of a nation be thought secure when we have removed their only firm basis, a conviction in the minds of the people that these liberties are the gift of God?" Thomas Jefferson - Notes on the State of Virginia

www.wildsidesystems.com - Shelter for Your WildSide - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tYwgo...&feature=g-upl
Old 01-15-2010, 02:45 PM
Platinum Member

308 nate I am KJV only and we do differ.
To say that we have the ability to correct the bible is to say that the bible know longer has the ability to correct us.

let me ask you and jmason a question do you believe in eternal life? Once saved always saved? If so how can you believe God has the ability to translate your soul into heaven but you feel the KJV needs to be translated into the bible that you carry?Does he not have the power to translate his word. If you don't have a KJV you don't have a bible!

Bigbuck
Old 01-15-2010, 03:33 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbuck View Post
To say that we have the ability to correct the bible is to say that the bible know longer has the ability to correct us.

let me ask you and jmason a question do you believe in eternal life? Once saved always saved? If so how can you believe God has the ability to translate your soul into heaven but you feel the KJV needs to be translated into the bible that you carry?Does he not have the power to translate his word. If you don't have a KJV you don't have a bible!

Bigbuck
This is not a worthwhile discussion to have in this location, bigbuck. At this point and in this place it only detracts from what may be worthwhile and helpful discussion otherwise.

I haven't seen any Bible believing Christian here say that we have the ability to 'corrrect' the Bible and certainly I haven't seen anyone say in this thread that claims to be a Christian say that the Bible no longer has the ability to correct us. In general, new translations have the responsibility of making a translation as accurate as possible and as understandable as possible given the change of language over the years.

Some are translated to English from a comparison of the oldest accurate manuscripts to be literally accurate...EXACTLY from the original Hebrew or Greek and is typically used for research purposes by those in the ministry, etc. This version would be more accurate to the orginal text than the KJV is, believe me. Would you say that the KJV is somehow 'better' than one translated as exactly as possible from the oldest known accurate manuscripts? More of which are available for comparison now than when the KJV was translated? This kind of version is very difficult to understand for the everday person that speaks English and so may in some passages of scripture not be a good general reading/understanding translation, due to some things just naturally being lost in translation. So, we have to be very careful and understanding of why a particular version was translated in the first place. Other versions seek to translate such that they are accurate to the orginal text, but take into account the change in the English language over the years to make the text more easily understood. The KJV was likely that Bible at that time. Nothing more.

Like I said, be very aware of the philosophy behind the translation to find out if it is true to oldest known manuscripts and using the best known information for it's translation.

It is important to test and understand these issues, but this particular issue is for another time and place, I believe.

Old 01-15-2010, 03:36 PM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbuck View Post

Bigbuck

Is not the KJV translated from Greek,Hebrew and Aramaic scrolls? What sets KJV translation apart from say, NIV? The NIV as well as some others were not translated from the KJV, but from using the Greek and Hebrew text. If you would like to continue this discussion by e-mail I would be happy, But will probably not post here anymore as I am not fond of promoting arguments. If you got out of what I said that I was trying to correct the bible this in NOT what I was trying to do by any means. As far as your other questions, I could be wrong, but I feel you are not interested in good conversation, but are interested in arguments and trapping.
My encouragement would be whatever things are good, whatever things are uplifting and true..think on these things. I am for promoting what is good and builds up others...the media is good at promoting the other.............If anyone is really concerned about what I believe....Other than I believe the bible to be true. they must first get to know me. I do believe my interpretations are prone to errors
Therefore my faith is not in myself nor translations, but the inspiration of God. The devil will use whatever tools he can to pick apart God's followers..even as little of things as "the, thy and thou" if you are wondering we do have several translations to the English language of the bible in our house (KJV included) and I am thankful for the freedom to own and posses a bible. As many in our history and current day did and do not have that freedom. This will probably be my last post on this thread as I do not see it being profitable anylonger, but will be happy to discuss privately any concerns or questions. I am by no means an authority, but love to converse with those that do not feel "they know it all and are without error"

308nate