Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Chatting and General Stuff > General Discussion

General Discussion Must wear red or OD green socks to participate. I can't see your socks, please be honest.

**** lodge/masons oaths ****

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-18-2010, 04:56 PM
Gold Member

Re: **** lodge/masons oaths ****

Bigbuck, 2 questions for you.

1. What was the "true" word of God after Jesus but prior to 1611 when the kjv came out?

2. If you were president AND had the power to do so would you make yours a national religion? Would you allow non Christians to practice there religion?
Old 01-19-2010, 12:15 AM
Gold Member

roll-yur-own,

Good questions.

Bigbuck, I also have a couple questions..

1~ Do you believe it is possible to come to a saving knowledge of our Lord Jesus Christ using a bible other than KJV..such as say an NIV?

2~How did you come to the knowledge that the KJV was the only true written word of God? Was is a vision? were you taught it in a church? were you raised that way?

3~ Is it possible that you could be wrong about the KJV only-ism?

I find it interesting how you will cut others down for adding to the doctrine taught in the bible, yet it is evident you are preaching a doctrine not taught in the bible (KJV only-ism)

Earlier you said the NIV teaches that Joseph was the father of Jesus. If you would have done your research and read a little further in the NIV you would have seen it teaches nothing of the sort. Beware of taking short phrases or single words out of context. Joseph was Mary's husband. And although Joseph was not the biological father of Jesus he did father him and raise him as a son. If you are interested in how the NIV came to this translation maybe it would be good for you to research it.

The King James was translated from Greek and Hebrew. In the Greek and Hebrew you will find on some words that had a couple of meanings, a side/foot note where the writer added another possible meaning to the word. These were called "qere" Many times, the KJV-translators translated from the "qere" (the marginal note in the Masoretic Text), rather than the "ketiv" (the actual text itself of the Masoretic Text). This is where almost all of the variances are for many of the different translations.

We could go on and on, but I will try not to bore anyone anymore on this. If anyone is interested here is a link to a really good website that explaines the differences on the topic of KJV only-ism. The KJV-only Issue Page

Big buck,
to answer your question you wrote in an e-mail to me.
The NIV is the bible I use most. If you are interested in pointing out all the deferences to me,(compared to your KJV) You can save your time, because I am already aware of the differences and prefer to cross reference the text/scripts etc. that the KJV was translated from.

308nate
Old 01-19-2010, 08:38 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbuck View Post
Tom,
The difference in true Christianity and religion/cults is I serve a risen Lord.You can climb through all the windows you want (and i appreciate it) but all your earthly work will someday faid away and all that will stand will be what each one of us did with Christ.

Bigbuck
Bigbuck, that is a sad view of how things are. I was always taught that our earthly works are what will send us to heaven. You see, our earthly works are exactly what we do w/ christ. It must be good to feel so superior to all others who see things differently than you.

Thank you 308 nate for your contribution.
Old 01-19-2010, 09:43 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by britz View Post
Bigbuck, that is a sad view of how things are. I was always taught that our earthly works are what will send us to heaven. You see, our earthly works are exactly what we do w/ christ. It must be good to feel so superior to all others who see things differently than you.

Thank you 308 nate for your contribution.
Britz,

In spite of what you may have been taught, have you searched the scriptures diligiently regarding this issue? Many things are 'taught' and they should tested against the scriptures say to see if they are true. The scriptures are the standard, not what someone teaches as there are many false teachers and many teachers that make very human mistakes in there interpretation of the scriptures--often largely because they take their philosophy to the Bible to try to make the Bible fit their philosophy rather than the other way around. 308 mentioned this earlier.

Speaking of 308, I very much doubt that he is in agreement with your above statement regarding works sending you to heaven. That is the one of the biggest false teachings regarding the scriptures there could be. Christ and the scriptures clearly teach that we are saved by grace, through faith that no human can boast that they attained salvation by themselves. We are created to do good works, but good works are clearly not what save us! This is one of Satan's biggest, easist to believe, lies. Remember, he is the Great Deceiver that deceived Eve and Adam in the Garden of Eden and humanity all throughout history since. Don't be deceived--search the scriptures diligently. This is just one of many sciptures talking about this all important issue:

Ephesians 2:8-10 -- For it is by grace you have been saved, through faith--and this not from yourselves, it is the gift of God--not by works, so that no one can boast. For we are God's workmanship, created in Christ Jesus to do good works, which God prepared in advance for us to do.

Have a good day.

Jon

"And can the liberties of a nation be thought secure when we have removed their only firm basis, a conviction in the minds of the people that these liberties are the gift of God?" Thomas Jefferson - Notes on the State of Virginia

www.wildsidesystems.com - Shelter for Your WildSide - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tYwgo...&feature=g-upl
Old 01-19-2010, 10:12 AM
Platinum Member

jmden, I have not searched the scriptures as diligently as many of you have... I will be the first to admit that. However, I have studied history and have many beliefs that I'm sure you do not. admittedly we have very different belief systems.

I see the scriptures as works written by wise people who are trying to put to paper what was taught to them by wiser men and women. I see that they were written down at times years after the event has happened. I see that they were written during very volatile times, by people with very strong faith.

I see scriptures as a guide, not an absolute history.
Old 01-19-2010, 11:04 AM
Gold Member

Britz,

jmden is correct that I do not believe that we can get to heaven by good works.
As the bible clearly teaches this.

Britz,
If what you say is true about the bible,Not being the inspired word of God, that makes God out to be a liar as he says it is His inspired word, therefore if what you say is true the whole thing would be a lie as well as my life.

As far as works, God is interested in our hearts and souls. I believe it pleases God when we love one another with unconditional love, love is patient, love is kind, it does not envy, it does not boast, it keeps no record of wrongs, it never gives up.

If I was trying to get to heaven by good works, I have already failed. You see I believe God wants us to do good works and to love one another out of a grateful heart for what he has done for us, not because we are trying to get something from him (salvation )

I have had people do very nice things for me, only to find out they were trying to get something from me, and that they were not really interested in just blessing me or just being my friend, but were only my friend when I had something to offer them. This hurts very much as this means they were never interested in me only what I possessed or could offer. therefore I feel it is good to do good works, but there is no saving power in it......the saving power is in what Jesus did on the cross, being a living sacrifice as we have all been found guilty of sinful hearts. By doing good works with the intention of earning your way into heaven, it is an insult to God as he already gave us the gift of salvation FREE for the receiving.

When we think we can earn our way to heaven we make what Jesus did on the cross to be useless and a liar. kinda like insulting him and saying we don't need him we can do it on our own. Why did he do this? because we have all sinned and fell short of the glory of God. We didn't make it. The debt of sin needed to be paid. We could not pay that debt as it would have cost us our life and soul eternally. Jesus paid that debt as an atonement for our sins. Do I understand all this to it's fullest? by no means. I only understand what my feeble mind can. Could I be wrong on these things, yes, I am only human, but I have done much research and will continue to do more research and the more I do the more sure I am in my own mind and heart that God is true and has made a way where there seemed to be no way.

*Disclaimer: Just my opinion..a mere man,Please do not form your thinking from my opinion, this was offered just as an explanation.

308nate

Last edited by 308 nate; 01-19-2010 at 11:11 AM.
Old 01-19-2010, 11:24 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by britz View Post
jmden, I have not searched the scriptures as diligently as many of you have... I will be the first to admit that. However, I have studied history and have many beliefs that I'm sure you do not. admittedly we have very different belief systems.

I see the scriptures as works written by wise people who are trying to put to paper what was taught to them by wiser men and women. I see that they were written down at times years after the event has happened. I see that they were written during very volatile times, by people with very strong faith.

I see scriptures as a guide, not an absolute history.
2 peter 1: 21
For the prophecy came not in old time by the will of man: but holy men of God spake as they were moved by the Holy Ghost.KJV

Bigbuck