Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Chatting and General Stuff > General Discussion

General Discussion Must wear red or OD green socks to participate. I can't see your socks, please be honest.

LOCAL NEWSPAPER COMMENTATOR CUTS on LR HUNTING!!!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-05-2012, 12:33 PM

LOCAL NEWSPAPER COMMENTATOR CUTS on LR HUNTING!!!

Our local news paper here in Southwestern, PA has a column in every Sunday's paper in the Outdoor section. It gives local field notes for clubs & organizations holding events, etc... There is an "Outdoor Writer" by the name of George Block. He usually shares his hunting stories and such. But I found his article in this weeks paper rather disturbing. I figured I would share it with you...

Long-range shooting disrupts definition of hunting - George Block Outdoors - www.observer-reporter.com

Old 11-05-2012, 01:13 PM
Platinum Member

Re: LOCAL NEWSPAPER COMMENTATOR CUTS on LR HUNTING!!!

I hope that you replied, pointing out his short comings with his views, double standards, self righteousness and just plain dumb ignorant statements.
Keep in mind the animals we shoot for food and display are not bullet proof. Contrary to popular belief, they bleed and die just like they did a hundred years ago. Being competent with a given rifle is far more important than impressive ballistics and poor shootability. High velocity misses never put a steak in the freezer.

Joe
Old 11-05-2012, 03:04 PM
Platinum Member

The thing that burns me about these guys is that they talk about long range hunting like anyone can just grab a gun and go. Like it's easy or something?
Old 11-05-2012, 03:24 PM
Platinum Member

I grew up and hunted the biggest part of my life in a state where only shotguns and slugs were used. There were no long shots except for people sending a " Hail Mary" that was to be accompanied by a prayer or the " Poke and Hope" . We belly crawled for a close enough shot, or they were ran out by drivers walking the timber and seldom a standing shot was taken. I saw more mamed deer than I ever care to think about again. Practice was unheard of. Sight in, and this is the honest truth, was often preformed on a 5 gallon bucket at 50 yards. Since I have taken up long range hunting I can honestly say the quick kills are often and always expected. My point, there are many ways to degrade any method of take. If he was a "True Hunter" He would be supporting the sport as a whole, like we do. To write a negative story to just fuel fires, and give the anti hunting crowd more ammo is a writen documentation that he is no sportman at all. Only a biased POS writer looking for his next check.

Jeff

Last edited by Broz; 11-05-2012 at 05:40 PM.
Old 11-05-2012, 04:44 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Broz View Post
I hunted grew up and hunted the biggest part of my life in a state where only shotguns and slugs were used. There were no long shots except for people sending a " Hail Mary" that was to be accompanied by a prayer or the " Poke and Hope" . We belly crawled for a close enough shot, or they were ran out by drivers walking the timber and seldom a standing shot was taken. I saw more mamed deer than I ever care to think about again. Practice was unheard of. Sight in, and this is the honest truth, was often preformed on a 5 gallon bucket at 50 yards. Since I have taken up long range hunting I can honestly say the quick kills are often and always expected. My point, there are many ways to degrade any method of take. If he was a "True Hunter" He would be supporting the sport as a whole, like we do. To write a negative story to just fuel fires, and give the anti hunting crown more ammo is a writen documentation he is no sportman at all. Only a biased POS writer looking for his next check.

Jeff
+1
5 gallon bucket, paper plate, beer/pop can if your really froggy.
Keep in mind the animals we shoot for food and display are not bullet proof. Contrary to popular belief, they bleed and die just like they did a hundred years ago. Being competent with a given rifle is far more important than impressive ballistics and poor shootability. High velocity misses never put a steak in the freezer.

Joe
Old 11-05-2012, 06:00 PM
Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by crb284 View Post
Our local news paper here in Southwestern, PA has a column in every Sunday's paper in the Outdoor section. It gives local field notes for clubs & organizations holding events, etc... There is an "Outdoor Writer" by the name of George Block. He usually shares his hunting stories and such. But I found his article in this weeks paper rather disturbing. I figured I would share it with you...

Long-range shooting disrupts definition of hunting - George Block Outdoors - www.observer-reporter.com
I grew up in Marianna reading George's articles every Sunday, my mom still sends them to me some times, George is, I guess old school. A couple months ago I think the all time best deer rifle was the 30-30, pretty sure that's what he put. It's his opinion, just a article, don't thing the Pa game commission will make some long range law. It's like guys saying you can't shot birds unless the are flying!
Old 11-05-2012, 07:08 PM
Platinum Member

I started my deer hunting in Penn's woods. Started with a 410 and slugs, moved up to a lever action Mod 92 Win 38-40. Finally got my 7X57 Mod 93 shooting those 170 grain bullets.

I've seen deer come by me with jaws and legs flopping. All ya had to do was listen to the shots coming up the hollow and you knew where it would cross.

The number of cars/trucks parked around the abandoned farmstead plus up and down the road gave indication of the number of "hunter" in the hollow.

I've crawled through the grape vines and thickets. Was fun but got me no deer.

I gave the article the lowest rating possible. The old boy simply hasn't kept up with the times and his audience appears to be the if I can hit the can I can hit the deer.