Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Chatting and General Stuff > General Discussion

General Discussion Must wear red or OD green socks to participate. I can't see your socks, please be honest.

Loaning a rifle?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-09-2013, 04:49 PM
Silver Member

Loaning a rifle?

Hi Guys,

I have a very good buddy who's moving up to Homer, Alaska later this month.
He plans on hunting with a few friends while up there.

My question is, can I ship my Marlin .45/70 to him to use while he's up there?
If so, how should I go about this? Is it necessary to ship it to an FFL dealer or
can I just send it to his mailing residence?

Should there be some type of written documentation from me stating he has
my permission to use this firearm. Or is this not necessary?

Any info would be greatly appreciated.

Best.

MDslammer
Las Vegas, NV
Old 03-09-2013, 05:35 PM
Platinum Member

Re: Loaning a rifle?

Just saw you location. Howdy I'm in henderson
Old 03-09-2013, 05:54 PM
Bronze Member

With the whole hoopla going on over backround checks and the fact you are going interstate, I would THINK you would need to go the ffl route. It's the fact of possession, regardless if you get any compensation.
As for a note giving permission.......unless the rifle is registered to you in Nevada, it wouldn't be needed. You are actually transferring the gun to him.

You could, and should, call the batf office and inquire with them, just to keep both of your butts out of jail.
Old 03-09-2013, 06:04 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinman13kup View Post
With the whole hoopla going on over backround checks and the fact you are going interstate, I would THINK you would need to go the ffl route. It's the fact of possession, regardless if you get any compensation.
As for a note giving permission.......unless the rifle is registered to you in Nevada, it wouldn't be needed. You are actually transferring the gun to him.

You could, and should, call the batf office and inquire with them, just to keep both of your butts out of jail.
The rifle is registered to me in NV.
Is loaning a rifle to someone in another state considered "transferring" the rifle to him?
There is NO compensation involed. I'm just letting him borrow my rifle for hunting.
When he's done, he'll return it me.
Old 03-09-2013, 06:41 PM
Bronze Member

Yes, you are transferring it to him. Who has possession and control of the rifle? You are wanting to send your rifle across state lines to a resident of another state that is not a relative. People go to prison for stuff like that.

Like I said, call the batf office. They will give you the answer you seek. It's not a big deal to call them, they won't come beating your door down
Old 03-09-2013, 07:02 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinman13kup View Post
Yes, you are transferring it to him. Who has possession and control of the rifle? You are wanting to send your rifle across state lines to a resident of another state that is not a relative. People go to prison for stuff like that.

Like I said, call the batf office. They will give you the answer you seek. It's not a big deal to call them, they won't come beating your door down
Thanks for the info.
Old 03-12-2013, 01:25 AM
Silver Member

Why do you want to lend him a rifle ? How/when are you going to get back ? What condition is it going to be when and if ? And if you transfer it , isn't it his gun ? WHy should he care what happens to it ? Thanks for the free gun .. See ya???? He sold it for a $100 and tells you, he lost it , fell into a glacier.