Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Chatting and General Stuff > General Discussion

General Discussion Must wear red or OD green socks to participate. I can't see your socks, please be honest.

Loaded for bear; or excess size/weight gun case

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-19-2008, 10:54 PM
Gold Member

Loaded for bear; or excess size/weight gun case

Flying out of Salt Lake City, 5 Sept, going through Anchorage to Nome. Return 2 weeks later. Grizzly!

Storm 3300 double rifle case, two rifles (primary and backup), 1 SxS 12 bore (Ptarmigan)and my Ruger ss 4-5/8" 45 LC (oh dang!).

Airlines, Delta and Alaska air, state 62" Max dimensions and 50 lbs. The Storm case hits 70" so I figure to pay the $50 extra for that unless someone has 1st hand knowledge that ether airline lets it slide. With the case gutted of it's foam padding, all four guns inside, it hits 45 lbs. Add almost 1 lb for combo locks and I've got a 4+ lb wiggle room for soft cases. I think the guns will fare better being in the soft cases instead of using the foam inserts and having to put the soft cases in with my check luggage. I'm hoping for suggestions. I can get all 4 in easily enough with them in soft cases. Problem is the weight hits 53-54 lbs; another $50.

Anyone actually have any experience flying with large, heavy cases upto Alaska or just anywhere and got hit, or not, with the excess charges?
Old 07-20-2008, 11:16 AM
Silver Member

Check the Arilines

I hate to say it but you will get hit at every corner with the arilines these days.

Over weight and size $
More than one bag $
and anything else they want $

The only thing you can do it fly 1st class and they usually will let some of it slide.

Good luck on the trip and call and ask the ariline your flying.

Willys46
Old 07-21-2008, 09:50 PM
Gold Member

Here is what I think I will do and why.

1. Leave the back up rifle at home. My buddy will have his rifle which if needed will work in a pinch.

2. By leaving the back up, I'll 1) reduce my gross wt by 7.5 lbs for the rifle and about 2 lbs for the soft case. This will 2)free up the free weight necessary to pack all my ammo with the gun case and keep the two together. Would hate to show up in camp with guns and no ammo or vice versa. I might have extra weight for fishing rod/reel and maybe even my Zeiss 65mm Diascope and 10x40 classic binos, and even my K&K tripod.
Old 07-22-2008, 04:10 AM
Platinum Member

Hope you get some decent weather and have a good hunt. Let us know how it turns out. I've never hunted in that part of the state.