Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Chatting and General Stuff > General Discussion

General Discussion Must wear red or OD green socks to participate. I can't see your socks, please be honest.

Liquid Wrench as a bore cleaner?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-13-2005, 12:12 AM
Silver Member

Liquid Wrench as a bore cleaner?

Any ideas on how this might be for the first couple passes thru? It's really an amazing product for rusted/stuck bolts. It smells like it would work good [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 09-13-2005, 12:16 AM
Gold Member

Re: Liquid Wrench as a bore cleaner?

Thats an interesting question b1g b0re. I know folks that use Kano Kroil mixed with shooters choice and also by itself as bore cleaner. Kano is basicaly the same as liquid wrench. Kano is said to get under the copper fouling and help loosen it making cleaning easier. I never tried it but I kinow folks that swear by it!!
Old 09-13-2005, 05:50 AM
Gold Member

Mixing Kroil with Shooters Choice saves time and rags. It removes all the easy fouling quickly, and then I foam out the Cu with WipeOut and gun barrel is spotless. Some of my old guns required more than one foaming though.
Old 09-13-2005, 07:38 PM
Gold Member

I have had good luck with Butch's Bore shine followed by Kroil, also Barnes followed by Kroil...
Old 09-14-2005, 12:00 PM
Silver Member

This is the response I got from Gunk.
[ QUOTE ]
<font color="purple"> We will be launching a line of gun care products under the Smith and Wesson name in early April. I would recommend using our Liquid Wrench "L4" product until then.Regards,
Tom Hynes.

[/ QUOTE ] </font> </font>
Old 09-14-2005, 01:14 PM
Platinum Member

I have heard that Butch's Bore Shine was exactly the same (chemically) as GM Top Enginer Cleaner; but who knows?. The GM stuff is a lot less expensive. I also heard that some guys use WD-40 in place of Kroil with similar results. Heck, you can buy WD-40 @ Home Depot by the gallon.

It really is difficult for the average shooter to come to a difinitive conclusion as to which bore cleaner works better for removing copper/carbon/powder residue. Many cleaners do the job but which works fastest or best?? [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img] [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img]
Old 09-15-2005, 06:54 PM
Bronze Member

Just a thought but i have a cusin that is a machinist. He does alot of stainless work he showed me one day we went to lunch he sprayed a fresh cut piece of top notch stls.with wd40 crc &amp;marvel. We went to lunch came back hte wd40 piecewas looking bad already hte crc was about half as bad hta marvel still looked good. Just thought i would share this and draw your own concl. thanks marlow