Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Chatting and General Stuff > General Discussion

General Discussion Must wear red or OD green socks to participate. I can't see your socks, please be honest.

Lightening up a wood laminate stock...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-23-2006, 10:00 AM
Platinum Member

Lightening up a wood laminate stock...

If this has been asked before, I apologize. I didn't see anything with a quick search.

I've got a Rem 700 LSS in 300 RUM and was wondering if anyone has cut out some of the buttstock to reduce weight. Is there enough strength left with a heavy recoiling rifle? How much to cut out? Is it worth doing at all? Etc., ect. Comments and suggestions are welcome. Thank you.

"And can the liberties of a nation be thought secure when we have removed their only firm basis, a conviction in the minds of the people that these liberties are the gift of God?" Thomas Jefferson - Notes on the State of Virginia

www.wildsidesystems.com - Shelter for Your WildSide - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tYwgo...&feature=g-upl
Old 10-23-2006, 10:16 AM
Platinum Member

Re: Lightening up a wood laminate stock...

I've milled out the barrel channel of a few stocks and dropped a little bit of their their , you can also remove your recoil pad and drill a couple deep holes in the back of the stock to help remove some weight.
Unless you go with to big of a bit in the rear or go to deep then the butt should be strong enough.
All in all i don't realy think that the work involved is worth the risk of messing up the stock for only a few ounces maybe half a pound.
Have a look at HighTech Specialties stocks , they only weigh about 25oz.
Old 11-11-2006, 01:46 PM
Platinum Member

This is what I ended up doing:

I cut about 2.5" of dead weight off the forestock and took the chunk out of the buttstock. Also took off the stock recoil pad and added a Limsaver. Seems to shoot great, but it does seem to reoil more as I was getting nailed by the scope more than I have before--had to adjust my shooting style a bit. However, first impresssions are that the Limsaver lessens the felt recoil.

"And can the liberties of a nation be thought secure when we have removed their only firm basis, a conviction in the minds of the people that these liberties are the gift of God?" Thomas Jefferson - Notes on the State of Virginia

www.wildsidesystems.com - Shelter for Your WildSide - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tYwgo...&feature=g-upl
Old 11-11-2006, 02:29 PM
Platinum Member

What did you use to make the scope turret cover?
Old 11-11-2006, 03:59 PM
Platinum Member

Wish I knew where to get them but I don't--might call Stoney Point as those came with the Stoney Point MOA turrets. I figured I'd leave 'em on since they seal pretty well to keep dust and moisture out and I can see through to the markings and move turrets just fine with them on.