Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Chatting and General Stuff > General Discussion

General Discussion Must wear red or OD green socks to participate. I can't see your socks, please be honest.

Life here has changed!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-09-2009, 06:59 PM
Gold Member

Life here has changed!

On March 8th, My 10 YO daughter was diagnosed with type 1 diabetes. she will be insulin dependant either for life or until there is a cure, so all my plans for my future are on hold till we get this thing under control and get settled into our lives the way it has to be to help her lead a happy healthy life.
The main reason for this post is to let anyone that I made a commitment too know that it is on hold for awhile (so kirby, will send you my brass to form when time and funds allow) Not sure if I committed anything else to anyone or not, things have been a blur for the last month.
also anyone with young children, if you see any change in they're routine (drinking excessively, going to the bathroom more than normal, always tired) Please, Please get them to the Dr., juvenile diabetes strikes 1 in 600 children in this country, and the initial treatments are hard on young children, (and parents take it worse) If we had any idea and took her to the ER 4 days sooner she wouldn't have had to endure nearly as much, the outcome wouldn't have changed but the 3 days of hell in the ICU at university of va hospital would not have been nessacary.
I hope noone has to endure what my daughter has in the last month!
RR
Old 04-09-2009, 07:08 PM
Platinum Member

Re: Life here has changed!

RR, God bless your family during this dificult time. I hope things get better for your family soon.
Old 04-09-2009, 07:18 PM
Gold Member

Please do not be so hard on yourself. You did what you knew to do at the time - now your taking it one step further and trying to educate others. Our thoughts and prayers are with you and your family.

Romans 8:28

Last edited by MN Hunter; 04-10-2009 at 12:37 PM. Reason: typo
Old 04-09-2009, 07:28 PM
Platinum Member

Be sure to ask the doctor about putting her on a pump. This really improves their A1c. There is more freedom with food choices. When you are monitoring her blood sugar, and she is low, you will be better off giving her fruits for sugar and not cookies and candy. Bananas have a high glycemic index.

Arm your pantry with good fruits. Buy them often to keep them fresh but only a couple of days worth at a time. I recommend organic.

You will have to keep blood sugar records daily, usually at least 3x/day. You will also be given glucagon in case her sugar gets too low.

Good candies to use when sugar is low are Smarties and Sweet tarts. These candies are hard, and seem to last a long time. They are small and you can easily add how many carbs she will need based on her blood sugar number. The reason to use candy is at least you can tell how many carbs they are getting. Candy is more convenient when you are out and about. Fruit is better at home.

Be on the watch for her waking up in the night with a form of seizure due to a significant drop in sugar. The pupils will dilate and she may act as if she doesn't know where she is or what is going on. They usually stand and look like they are doing a jerking motion with all 4 limbs. Many times kids will make a "wooo-ing" sound with their mouth as if they are in a panic. They are usually scared if they have any recollection of what is happening.

This usually scares the piss out of parents. The sugar is low, get right on it.

Best advice in the world, get her on a pump.

Good luck.
Old 04-09-2009, 07:43 PM
Platinum Member

There are a lot of rewards of being a parent and lots of pain at times.
Old 04-09-2009, 08:27 PM
Silver Member

Things that affect our children always hurt the most. I am sorry to hear this and my prayers go out to you and your family.
all this stuff is just that, STUFF. what's really important is family
Old 04-09-2009, 09:35 PM
Platinum Member

Ridge Runner,

Sorry to hear that news........

I'm not able to come up with the kinds of words that would seem appropriate.......

However, having faith in the institution of the famiy, the blessings that go with and what your thread starter says about you, with a bit of power from above you'll find your family will become closer, stronger and realize things that you never would have otherwise experienced.

Also the technology guys are always coming up with things to help.
See this: Spotlight: New method may end pain of diabetes tests: FEB 09, Currents: News: LANL

If there were a way to trade her's for mine, I'd do it. Really.......