Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Chatting and General Stuff > General Discussion

General Discussion Must wear red or OD green socks to participate. I can't see your socks, please be honest.

Let's create new USER TITLES for LRH

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-20-2009, 06:33 PM
Platinum Member

Re: Let's create new USER TITLES for LRH

Quote:
Most of us can call ******** when we read it and we know to take what that particular person posts with a grain of salt.
I just finished dinner and got to laughing so hard I nearly lost dinner. That would have been a shame being as I cooked a pretty good meal.

I am retired and can post as much as I like so the people who are still working away in the salt mines don't have a chance. It would be good to have categories but they should be slightly humorous so people don't really believe that post count implies a high degree of knowledge.

Perhaps a way of implying something about a persons skill would be to have little stars or deer symbols after a persons name for every kill over 1k and if it was varmints then it would need to be beyond 1.5 K. As Kevin says, it is often obvious when a person has fabricated a hunt.

I like the idea in general but do think that the titles should not imply too much.
Old 03-20-2009, 07:16 PM
Platinum Member

LRH isn't just about shooting/marksmanship, so I depart from the recommendations for use of NRA, Military, or other competition shooting rankings of skill.

But I agree with additional categories for higher post counts. Because a really high post count generally does imply that the member is fairly avid about hunting, and increases the likelihood that the member has a pretty good base of knowledge.

It's no guarantee of expertise, but more often than not will coincide with well-rounded knowledge of hunting and the related activities.
Old 03-20-2009, 08:14 PM
Platinum Member

I don't see the need for titles at all. It should be the content of your words and the fact that there are great people on this site that are willing to help others, regardless of what title is in front of their name. I have read some great posts by junior members, and don't put anyless value on their words because of a " title". More titles would just seem pretencious, and would only serve certain egoes.
Old 03-20-2009, 09:13 PM
Gold Member

Location: Sagauache County, Co...3170 sq miles, not a single stop light!

i tend to agree with the Quality over Quantity argument here. the substance of the post means a whole lot more to me than the # of posts a guy has out there. there are some on here (fiftydriver for instance) who always have some incredible insight to the question at hand, then there are others who just kinda tag along.......i will take what ever badge you honor me with...AJ
Old 03-20-2009, 09:24 PM
Silver Member

one word says it all. WILDCAT
Not what amount of posts but the content of the posts. I would leave it alone.
Old 03-20-2009, 11:29 PM
Platinum Member

With all due respect, having retired from the military, I don't care much for ranking peoples' standings. As someone already noted it's quality over quantity. Those that frequent this forum knows the who's who and everybody has something to contribute at varying levels/capacity. I am just amazed of the expertise in this forum and love reading their posts, advices, and comments. In the short amount of time since I joined I learned so much already ... and for that, thanks to all.

If it was up to me, I'd leave the ranking the same but perhaps consider the post count requirement, i.e. as follows:

• Junior Member - (< 500 posts)
  • Member - (501 - 1000 posts)
  • Senior Member - (> 1000 posts, then add a star for every thousand thereafter)
Just my 2-pence for your consideration. Thanks.

Ed

I voted for my "FREEDOM", "GUNS", and "MONEY" - keep the change - UNK.

"I am always proud of my country!"

"Leadership Rule #2: Don't be an @zzhole." - Maj Gen Burton Field.
Old 03-21-2009, 12:27 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by trueblue View Post
I don't see the need for titles at all. It should be the content of your words and the fact that there are great people on this site that are willing to help others, regardless of what title is in front of their name. I have read some great posts by junior members, and don't put anyless value on their words because of a " title". More titles would just seem pretencious, and would only serve certain egoes.
Bingo...

"And can the liberties of a nation be thought secure when we have removed their only firm basis, a conviction in the minds of the people that these liberties are the gift of God?" Thomas Jefferson - Notes on the State of Virginia

www.wildsidesystems.com - Shelter for Your WildSide - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tYwgo...&feature=g-upl