Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Chatting and General Stuff > General Discussion

General Discussion Must wear red or OD green socks to participate. I can't see your socks, please be honest.

Lesson learned

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-20-2006, 02:04 PM
Silver Member

Lesson learned

Been wanting a laser range finder for a while now. Was going to buy one of the Bushnell 1500 models and here comes the new Leupold so I wait.

So there I was this morning hunting a hayfield with the potential for shots in excess of 2000 yards although that's not what I was looking for. The action was hot; I actually for the first time witnessed smallish bucks breeding does. Out walks the biggest whitetail I have ever seen; intially thought it must be a horse. The wind is calm, he's standing broadside, I've got the .30/378 locked onto him. Just one problem, I can't tell how far he is. My best guess was between 700 and 800 yards but that could have been way off as I don't get much practice at ranging at that distance in Alabama. Anyway, I didn't take the shot and I'm having serious regrets about passing that one up............
Old 01-20-2006, 02:18 PM
Platinum Member

Re: Lesson learned

Crane:

You shouldn't have any regrets about your decision. With no way to range the distance to the buck, and no way to know the distance, you did the right thing. You really only had one choice and you did the right thing. Guessing at that distance could have meant a wounded and lost animal. You did the right thing.
Old 01-20-2006, 02:28 PM
Official LRH Sponsor

Watching a big animal or any animal walk away from you healthy is much better then watching him run away with a leg swinging in the breeze. At this range you have to know the exact range, not within 100 yards or even 50 yards, you need the exact range or you should not shoot at all.

You should be commended for letting him walk, many would not have done what you did. Now you can dream about that big boy as you saw him, 100% healthy instead of having nightmare about wounding and loosing him.

You did good!! Next year you will be ready to take that shot, get that rangefinder and start practicing at long range!!

Kirby Allen(50)

Allen Precision Shooting
Home of the Allen Magnum, Allen Xpress and Allen Tactical Wildcats and the Painkiller Muzzle brakes.

Farther, Faster and Flatter then ever before.

Web Page: www.apsrifles.com

allenmagnum@gmail.com
Old 01-20-2006, 03:03 PM
Silver Member

You know before finding this site, mostly lurking and reading I probably would have "lobbed" one out there. One of the things I've learned that I didn't realize before is exactly how crucial super accurate ranging actually is.

Kirby we've conversed via email and I've been putting away the pennies for an Allen Mag, however today made me realize I currently possess more than enough rifle and scope. Shooting at known distances is one thing but outside of 500yds my range guess-ta-mating abilities suck. So until I acquire the latest and greatest (within reason) laser range finder the new rifle will have to wait.
Old 01-20-2006, 04:17 PM
Gold Member

Crane,

Bud don't sweat the good stuff. First of all you got the distinct pleasure of seeing a monster buck in his enviroment. Heck some folks never see anything much better than what some folks would consider culls. Next you made the best decision a "hunter" can make in that situation.

I used to hunt every season for the biggest buck I could. Now after taking a 21" wide typical 8 from heavily hunted area, I am content to just look at them.

Now the hogs, well thats an entirely different story. They are on the top of the vermin list for us. I am looking VERY much forward to something special arriving soon from out west to give us a little more edge on bringing home the bacon for sure.

My Photo's

"Heck why would I lie, most folks don't believe the truth when I tell them"
Old 01-20-2006, 05:06 PM
Platinum Member

You get 5 from me. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]
Old 01-20-2006, 06:33 PM

[ QUOTE ]
...This wolf had trotted up unto an open hill side which I had ranged previously at 600 yards. The wolf had trotted farther down the hill from the point I ranged so I guessed the range at 650 and lined up on the big wolf....

...I stood at the point where the bullet impacted and ranged back to my blind, 710 yards!!! As I did not have time to range the trotting dog he had covered more ground then I predicted and the misque in range pretty much saved the big dogs life.

[/ QUOTE ]
Fiftydriver, couldn't you have wounded the wolf with this shot?