Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Chatting and General Stuff > General Discussion

General Discussion Must wear red or OD green socks to participate. I can't see your socks, please be honest.

legality question

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-22-2010, 03:08 PM
Platinum Member

Re: legality question

I think brownells has rem 700 short actions again....just saying
Old 04-22-2010, 03:41 PM
Gold Member

nevermind

Last edited by zuba; 04-22-2010 at 06:52 PM. Reason: nevermind
Old 04-22-2010, 05:02 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by zuba View Post
I think its better safe than sorry, if its going to be a handgun anyways... you dont want to travel to a different state and find out your gun is not registered right. Besides, if you wanted to turn it into a rifle later there is no issues going from a pistol to a rifle...

I went with a 7wsm and with r17 it is pushing 168's @ 2850 Still need to play with the 180's I've got.
You missed the point.......if you list a bare action as a handgun on the 4473, you have made a false statement on a federal document!!

A bare action is not legally a handgun or a long gun until it is assembled as such.....if your dealer states in a federal document that he is transferring a handgun to you, when, he is actually transferring an "other firearm", I can see potential legal problems for him and possibly for you too.

As far as the idea of "you dont want to travel to a different state and find out your gun is not registered right".......well, don't know where you live, but most states don't "register" firearms......besides that, how would you "find out your gun is not registered right" while in another state??? The only way law enforcement would know is to run a trace through BATF and the only way that is going to happen is if your handgun is involved in a crime.......at that point, you have bigger problems than whether a local law enforcement officer understands the difference between a bare action and a handgun and how one becomes the other legally.........
Old 04-22-2010, 05:31 PM
Gold Member

nevermind

Last edited by zuba; 04-22-2010 at 07:30 PM.
Old 04-22-2010, 06:36 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by zuba View Post
First, Look in box #18 ATF Form 4473, July 2005 revision It's handgun, long gun, or BOTH, not "other firearm". I do not see "other firearm" anywhere on the form 4473 you "quoted"...
Second, When My FFL went to check BOTH the guy on the phone from the ATF said when it got transfered to an individual it had to be designated as either a handgun or a long gun. According to you, when a guy buys an action for a rifle build he would have to mart the BOTH box, and wait 48 hours just like a handgun? Because that would not
Third, How many bolt action pistols do you have that have been built on undesignated actions? Cause I still love MINE

First, go click on the link I posted........it is the current 4473 posted on the OFFICIAL ATF website.......NOT something posted on ocshooters.........look at box 18 on the current 4473 listed on the ATF website........or, maybe you think ocshooters is a more reliable source for current info??? (the one posted at your link is the 2005 version)

Second, if you had read my post that included the link, you would have seen where I said it is not legal to sell a bare action (other firearm) to ANYONE UNDER 21.......that's because it can legally be assembled into a handgun.

Third......as I explained earlier.......when a person buys a bare action.......it should be listed correctly on the 4473 as an "other firearm"........not both handgun and long gun.......I never said anything about marking both and waiting 48 hours........I don't know where YOU live, but there is no waiting 48 hours to receive a handgun in most states.........most places, you walk in, fill out the 4473, dealer does NICS check and, if you are cleared, you walk out with your handgun........that's the way it's done in most of the states.

I personally haven't built a single handgun on an "undesignated action" because there is no such thing.........there are long guns, hand guns and "other firearms"........there is no such thing as an "undesignated action"......that is a meaningless made up term that seems to have originated over on Speciality Pistols........

You are arguing with the wrong guy here.......I have spent hundreds of hours studying firearms laws......I KNOW what I'm talking about.....

I'm still waiting for you to explain how you would "find out your gun is not registered right" while in another state"???

Last edited by buzzgun; 04-22-2010 at 06:40 PM.
Old 04-22-2010, 07:11 PM
Gold Member

I'm pretty sure it says where I'm from right across from my name... I thought that was obvious... All I tried to do was tell how My father and I had to do it. TWICE. but that was a few years ago, I didn't say he had to do it that way. I did do it around 2005 thats why I posted it. When I did it there wasn't an other option. I have better things to do than check if something I did a few years ago changed, like actually shooting... I'm done here

Last edited by zuba; 04-22-2010 at 07:31 PM.