Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Chatting and General Stuff > General Discussion

General Discussion Must wear red or OD green socks to participate. I can't see your socks, please be honest.

Lasik eye surgery

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-06-2010, 12:53 PM
Platinum Member

Re: Lasik eye surgery

I had lasik in 2006, had 4.25 in both eyes (around 20/400 or so) day after the lasik I had 20/20 and today I am between 20/20 and 20/15. only downfall I have was I have slightly dry eyes... and nighttime driveing when tired I have some halo around lights. However, I think I had some issues w/ that prior to the lasik... best 4200 I ever spent!
Old 06-06-2010, 04:57 PM
Silver Member

Had Lasik 9 years ago. My eye sight went from 20/225 Lt and 20/245 Rt to 20/10 Lt and 20/15 Rt. Holy **** man! I never new anyone could see that good! Back then they put in a soft contact (as a bandage) immediately after the procedure which they would remove the next day, so I couldn't see **** until they were out. 9 yrs later my eyes have degraded to 20/15 Lt and 20/20 Rt, but I'd do it all over again if I had to. Lucky for me my aunt worked at the clinic where I had it done and I got a family discount, the normal cost was $1500 per eye which was dropped to $1000/eye. So I'd have to say that that was the best $2000 I've ever spent.

Aside from the normal dry eyes early in the morning and late in the evening, the only thing I could ever come close to complaining about is the fact that my vision is blurred for extended periods of time if any pressure is applied to either eye. Pressure from rubbing your eye or laying your head down where something is pushing on the eye will cause blurred vision for 30secs to upwards of several minutes before my vision is back to perfect, but hey, I got no star-bursts or halos when driving at night so it's golden as far as I'm concerned.

I don't know how much the procedure has changed in the past 9 years but Lasik is definitely something I would recommend to anyone who is optically challenged. It may not be the cheapest option compared to glasses or contacts, but it is certainly the best value.
Old 06-06-2010, 07:07 PM
Silver Member

I want PRK or lasik really really badly and live close to Spokane Wa where it's available. Trouble is that $3000-$4000 is just too much money for such an very short procedure.

Another option is to check out how much this costs in Canada as my location in N. Idaho puts me just an hop, skip, and jump away from Calgary Alberta and Vancouver B.C.

Might be worth the trip, plus I have lots of family there.
Old 06-06-2010, 07:26 PM
Bronze Member

Shortshooter-

Honestly I would have paid double what I did to see this good. I have no side effects and having Pacific Laser and Cataract in your back yard I would highly suggest taking a look at having it done.

My mother had it done 14 years ago which is when it was relatively new in the US. She had one eye done to see far away and the other so she can read. Her eye sight is still 20/15! With something as precious as your eyes I would not be looking for the best deal, but the best results.
Old 06-06-2010, 08:30 PM
Platinum Member

i didn't want to coupon shop for eye surgery
Old 06-07-2010, 03:08 AM
Platinum Member

I paid $500 per eye in Vancouver, B.C. Ended up with better than 20/12 vision. More money wasn't = to better surgery or results. They were running a special at the time. My eye surgeon had performed more than 10,000 of these procedures prior to mine.
Old 06-07-2010, 03:30 AM
Silver Member

Re Halo.. mine disappered after about 2 months.. no issue with night driving eyesight is similar to yours 20/20 20/15..

Any one had PRK like myself as I have been advised that Lasik is not suitable for everyone. I had a pretty good surgeon and staff spent hours assessing and measuring the eye...
My surgeon does both .Lasik and PRK.. I was in his hands and he has done close to 5,000 people last count...

Interesting seeing different results .. my eye flap had to rebuild as it was scrapped off then lasered..

My recovery took nearly 12 months ... unreal now