Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Chatting and General Stuff > General Discussion

General Discussion Must wear red or OD green socks to participate. I can't see your socks, please be honest.

Lasik eye surgery

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-05-2010, 08:53 PM
Bronze Member

Lasik eye surgery

Ok this may be a weird topic to talk about, but the results are so amazing I thought I would have to share my experience. My eye sight was very poor without contacts. I could not see the biggest letter no matter how hard I tried before I had surgery. The eye doctor would stand at the front of the room and walk towards me with an undisclosed number of fingers held up until I could see them. I know there are many that are worse than me but my eyes were
-3.75 in my left eye and -4.25 in my right eye. (I am right handed)

I had been talking to my eye doctor for some time as I was tired of always taking contact solution with me when I would go hunting. It sucks trying to put in contacts at 4:00 am without a mirror, around a small camp fire. After a couple of months of many eye doctor appts. to make sure my eye sight stayed the same, and a lot of research, I was finally ready to make an appt with a Lasik Surgery center. In Spokane the best place to go is Pacific Laser and Cataract. I paid 3700.00 for the surgery and the post opt. appts. The procedure only took 15 mins. and within minutes I could see a lot better. It has been 5 months since the surgery and I now see 20/15! I can see things that I never could even imagine, and without any discomfort.

The only reason I am talking about this is to HIGHLY RECOMMEND it if you are considering having this done. If you are in the Pacific NW then you really need to look at Pacific Laser and Cataract, as they are extremely professional and do excellent work. It will dramatically improve your shooting ability.

Old 06-06-2010, 12:16 AM
Platinum Member

Re: Lasik eye surgery

Good post.

I lived with cataracts for way longer than I should have. When I voluntarily stopped driving at night I new I had waited too long.

Life was bad, scopes were dim and I was curb stumbling due to loss of depth perception.

2-20 minute sessions a week apart and I had two new lens and 20/20 in the left and 20/25 in the right.

Got the long range lens just cause I'd rather leave the glasses at home when hunting. Use eye glasses only to read, close up work and to read the prices at the store.....
Old 06-06-2010, 01:41 AM
Silver Member

I had PRK because of my eye shape 4 years ago..A life changing experience as I was nearly -6. When you have it done its a life changing experience...

Whats it cost in the US?

I havent worn glasess since that day and I'm 48 now.. Spot deer a long waya way.. PRK takes a lot longer recovery periord than lasik..

Dont miss the glasses 1 bit.... amazing this modern stuff..

How is the low light level just before dark...?
Old 06-06-2010, 03:04 AM
Silver Member

I had lasik and instantly my life particullay hunting is transformed !

would recommend it to anyone fed up with steamed up or wet glasses or fed up with battling contacts at 4am with no mirror!

my vision is now 20/12 !

it was painles and fast , 10mins in surgery! i could see to drive myself back to the opticians in the morning and was watching tv within an hour and a half of surgery.

it wasn't cheap but worth every penny!

Russ
Old 06-06-2010, 04:36 AM
Platinum Member

Best money I ever spent on anything medical. I could see better than 20/20 the morning after the surgery. Six months later my optometrist told me my eyesight was better than 20/12. He stopped asking me to read the letters on the 20/12 line.

Had it done about 8 years ago in Vancouver, B.C. Both eyes for $1000.00
Old 06-06-2010, 06:39 AM
Miller Outdoors

Good for you guys. It sounds like quite an improvement in quality of life.

My eyesight is good close up but reading letters on the tv across the room can be a challenge and trees in the distance get quite blurry. I've got a pair of glasses, but don't ever wear them. Driving at night isn't much fun. I've been thinking about lasik for quite a while now, but haven't pulled the trigger yet.
Old 06-06-2010, 06:57 AM
Platinum Member

The down side (for me):

I had LASIX surgery on my shooting eye only. It was originally my weak eye and now varies from 20/20 to 20/15 depending on who checks it and when. Sight improvement has been unbelievable.

The problem I have is that I now have a hard time focusing on the reticle. I often see two reticles, one heavy one and one fine one next to it. Moving the ocular lens into an extreme position helps but rarely eliminates the problem. Anyone else experience this?

I never had surgery on the other eye because I can still read with that eye (without reading glasses). It sounds odd but I see distance with the LASIX eye being dominant while still being able to read with the other eye. Doc referred to it as monocular vision. Apparently only 50% of the population can adapt to this.