Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Chatting and General Stuff > General Discussion

General Discussion Must wear red or OD green socks to participate. I can't see your socks, please be honest.

Land Survey system question

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 10-08-2005, 05:51 PM
Platinum Member
Land Survey system question

I'm trying to find an article that describes the method used to survey land (U. S. of A. model). Specifically I'm looking for a determination (yeah or nay) on whether land is surveyed using a 'flat earth' model. The answer should allow me to prove or disprove that a nice flat field in Kansas that's 1 mile x 1 mile (on a tape measure... a long tape measure)is a section and also show that a steep mountainside in Montana (60 degree angle) that's 1 mile across the mountain and 2 miles up the mountain slope (using my long tape measure) is also 1 section.

Unread 10-08-2005, 07:17 PM
Silver Member
Re: Land Survey system question

I'm not an expert in the field, but I did ask one. A mining engineer from WV told me that land is measured horizontially, regardless of terain. As you and he noted you get more land surface for your money when in the mountians.
"When working with the public, there are two things you need to remember. - 1. The public is a bunch of ignorant morons. - 2. YOU and I are one of them!"
Unread 10-08-2005, 08:45 PM
Platinum Member
Re: Land Survey system question

RBrowining is spot on.

A section is one square mile and 640 acres regardless of terrain.

It really erks the farmers when I do the topo thing to their field and measure yield. Acres go up yield goes down. They take it personal. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]

But they will always use the flat square model to pay the fertilizer guy by the acre. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img]

So, if you want some really good real estate deals come out to Idaho which would be the largest state in the union if someone could iron it falt. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crazy.gif[/img]
I may be the slowest guy on the mountain . . . . but . . . . I'm on the mountain!