Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Chatting and General Stuff > General Discussion

General Discussion Must wear red or OD green socks to participate. I can't see your socks, please be honest.

Kids Shooting Course Advice

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-13-2011, 05:09 PM
Bronze Member

Re: Kids Shooting Course Advice

Quote:
Originally Posted by SBruce View Post
I used to be a junior firearms instructor in the 4-H program. I was about 15 myself at the time and was teaching younger kids <12 to shoot 22 rimfire at 50 to 100 yds. They seemed to relate better to another "kid" then they did adults, which was part of the reason I got picked. I had been shooting for about 9 years and loading my own centerfire rifle ammo for about 3 years, guess I had more experience then some of the adults did, which is the other reason they picked me.

Long story short, I now have my own grandkids and still shoot every chance I get. I've competed in alot of different shooting sports over the years, from archery to 300 yd benchrest, coyote hunting competions to cowboy mounted shooting. I've also been a hunting guide for Wyoming deer and antelope for about 30 yrs off and on (yes, I know it says 18 in my introduction to this site, typo....was supposed to say 28 but I can no longer go back and edit it...sorry)

I would take a look at your program if you'd like.

Kids and women are the ones we really need interested in our sport. I'd be glad to help.

Thanks for all your help and comments Shane! Certaainlly help me see I am am on the right track and provided some new/fresh ideas.

Thanks!
Pete
Psalms 55:22 "Cast thy burden upon the Lord, and He shall sustain thee. He shall never suffer the righteous to be moved."
Old 03-17-2011, 01:13 AM
Bronze Member

Update! After many hours of emails and phone calls this shooting camp has shaped up quite nicely. Thanks to some VERY gracious sponsors the range facility, target materials, bipods, ammo, cleaning supplies and sack lunches have all been DONATED!!!! This is a awesome country we live in.... it shows me once again why I spent 25 years defending it.

I think I am actually more excited than the boys are about this. I just hope the weather plays nice with us in the begining of june.

Psalms 55:22 "Cast thy burden upon the Lord, and He shall sustain thee. He shall never suffer the righteous to be moved."
Old 03-17-2011, 02:50 AM
Platinum Member

Glad to hear it's all coming together nicely!

It's a great thing you're doing. I hope the weather is good for ya too.

Old 03-17-2011, 07:25 AM
Gold Member

padreweis,

I have been working with our local 4-H shooting sports group for a while and will be going tomorrow for two days of additional training to become a rifle coach.

The 4-H training is heavy on "how to work with kids" and "safety" and light on shooting techniques. With your background I am sure you can handle the shooting techniques and safety just fine. I would be happy to look over your curriculum to see if there are any suggestions I can provide based on the 4-H program.

Thank you for doing this for the kids and thank you for your service to our country!! I would drive out to SD with my kids (11 & 13) but they have 4-H shooting competition week in early June, then church camp for a week beginning the day 4-H is over.
Old 03-17-2011, 07:30 AM
Platinum Member

I am a certified NRA trainer in shotgun, rifle and pistol. Also a certified range office through NRA. I have done some hunter safety with kids and also some Boy Scout range officer work.

If there is anything I can do to help you please let me know.

Jeff

e-mail jdd2909 at MT.net
Old 06-11-2011, 02:16 PM
Bronze Member

Well Boys the Clark Youth Shooting Camp is now in the record books!! The kids and I had a total blast!!! Thanks all of those of you folks that lent advise. All the kid where able to obtain good groups out to 300 yards to include my one 30-30 lever gun that was able to bang away at a 10 inch gong at that range. My older boys were all shooting solid out to 400 yards.

We had decent weather but the wind was a quite interesting. The last day was the only day that we had wind BELOW 15 MPH..... it made for great training!

Thanks abian guys for all your help.

Pete
Old 06-12-2011, 03:01 AM
Platinum Member

Glad to hear it went well and that you didn't get rained out.