Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Chatting and General Stuff > General Discussion

General Discussion Must wear red or OD green socks to participate. I can't see your socks, please be honest.

Just for fun - let's design a bolt action

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 12-13-2004, 10:13 PM
Silver Member
Re: Just for fun - let\'s design a bolt action

Controlled round feed or sako style extractor used with a manual ejector (M70 style)
Carbon fiber stock, adjustable for LOP and cheek weld, channeled for a very generous free float
Flat on the bottom of the action for superb bedding with a Pictinny type rail machined into the top of the action, 20MOA taper with matching rings already lapped and matched to the action. Action machined such that it does not need to be trued or blueprinted after it has left the factory, heat treated/hardened steel.
Finish that is damn near indestructible, non-glare, available in different colors/patterns for where you hunt
Muzzle break available, regardless of caliber.

And the big one: AVAILABLE IN LEFT HAND!!!!!!
I keep nature balanced - I hunt everything!

Unread 12-13-2004, 10:34 PM
Platinum Member

[/ QUOTE ]

Is that feed port or eject port or bolt handle?

(friggin south paws.)
GRAVITY. It's not just a good idea. It's the LAW!
Unread 12-14-2004, 12:03 AM
Silver Member

(friggin south paws.)

[/ QUOTE ]
Next time we go duck hunting I'll stand on your right and make sure there isn't a bush between us so the shells ejecting from my Lefty Benelli hit you in the head (you boner)!! [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
What was the duck count Sunday....oh yeah, me: 3 you: 0!

Left hand bolt handle, port could be on either side, or both.
I keep nature balanced - I hunt everything!
Unread 12-14-2004, 07:15 AM
Gold Member

No snow, but being disabled, plenty of time.Here goes:

Calibre 338 RUM.

Teflon coated 416 stainless, flat bottomed action to prevent possible torquing witn heavy loads, two lug cone faced, helically fluted bolt with Steyr SSG style bolt nob, for better alignment and sexy looks. Let it all off with a Jewel trigger set to 1lb

27 1/2" bead blasted stainless No.7 contour fluted barrel (i love flutes) fitted with a Holland quick brake.

Devcon and pillar bed this lot into a laminated prone style stock with an accessory rail inletted into the bottom of the forend, for mounting of handstops,bipods,sling swivels etc. these can be removed when shooting off a rest,as not to interfere with recoil through the bags.

Finally, i would top it all off with Leupold MK4 20moa bases and mount a propper MK4 MI, Premier Reticles boosted 24x fixed power scope, in MK4 rings.

This would my ideal long range set up, what do you think? [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Unread 12-14-2004, 03:43 PM

The ultimate LR rifle (tall order).
*round bottom receiver stainless Rem 700 foot print (this gives unlimited stock options)
*square, true, yeilds .001" bolt movement or less in any direction including fore and aft
*2 lug bolt 90 deg throw
*teardrop shaped bolt knob
*sako extractor
*mauser style fixed ejector and bolt stop
*box magazine feed from center
*2 position trigger mounted safety
*trigger adj down to 1 lb
*trigger guard assembly stainless steel
*heavy recoil lug .350" or so
*Hart barrel 30" .950" @ muzzle, fluted w integeral brake
*338 W / huge case capacity (Lapua, Edge, Kahn, Ultra, etc)
*Nightforce tapered base (30 moa) & rings
*Nightforce NXS 5.5-22 NPR2
*HS Precision stock PSS version with extra 2" on forend length
*action bedded with mari-tex barrel floated to lug .080" each side or more
*adjustable cheekpiece
*stock cut to length not adjustable or spacer adjustable
*metal finished od green teflon
*stock dipped in mossy oak breakup or in HS sand pattern
*cosine indicator
*Harris s series 9-13 with after market swivel lock

Hey wait a minute ... I've already built this one. It is true. The thing I would have liked to do differently was to have a removable box mag that would allow for an oal of 3.900" or better. I have done about every extraction / ejection combo to the 700 you can imagine, sako ext/dual ejectors, sako extractor/mauser eject-bolt release, true controled round feed (pre64), claw extractor single plunger ejector. I found the best of the bunch to be the sako ext/mauser ejector-bolt stop this seems to cure the 700's weak spots. It allows the shooter to dribble the brass into his hand or throw it across building. It is strong and reliable. I like field stocks as opposed to target stocks. I like a gun I can carry without a cart (this weighs 14.5 lbs ready to rock). I like round bottom actions flat bottom actions make me cranky. Nightforce optics no need to explain that one. Just my 2 cents. Good thread.
Shawn Carlock
Unread 12-14-2004, 04:59 PM
Platinum Member

... Action would be 1.5" diameter round, or across the flats for an octagon receiver.

... Threaded for a 1-1/8" diameter barrel tennon, 1-1/2" long to the shoulder.

... .800" diameter bolt.

... 3 Lug bolt, Sako extractor in horizontal position, with a narrower loading/ejection port exactly horizontal the bolt.

... Bolt machined with elliptical contact points front and rear, or sleeved.

... Integral recoil lug.

... Feed rails on blind or detachable mag box.

... Mag well would be 4.3" long.

... Optional integral Pic. spec scope base.

... Remington trigger.

... Winchester 3 pos safety.

... Winchester type fixed ejector, but modified to engauge a Remington type modified flush face plunger, spring loaded the opposite way to create a virtual solid bolt face.
Brent Moffitt
Unread 06-27-2007, 02:37 PM
Gold Member

Ian M

Are you ever going to build this rifle ?

What Calber would you go with ?

Kill more Coyotes

Feed The Buzzards