Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Chatting and General Stuff > General Discussion

General Discussion Must wear red or OD green socks to participate. I can't see your socks, please be honest.

Just Curious....

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-06-2012, 02:57 PM

Re: Just Curious....

I would have never thought about eating a cougar. Mainly just because it's a cat. Same with a coyote. But then again I've eatten horse so I guess that's not usual fair either. And I supposed with enough A1 sauce just about anything is edible.

Thanks for the feedback guys. Cheers!

-Brandon
Old 01-06-2012, 04:02 PM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HARPERC View Post
Lion has good flavor, a little tough in my experience. Black Bear very diet dependent, but hams almost always come out good. Drip pan to get grease out, then serve hot makes a difference. Once upon a time lard from black bear was considered the best for baking crust pastries and stuff. Used to work with a lady whose dad supplemented their income supplying the better hotels and restaurants. Grizzly generally considered inedible especially fish eaters.
I hear Royinidaho use to use bear drippin's to style his massive pompador with. And before superglue, he also used it to seal primers and to protect his battery posts too.
Old 01-06-2012, 09:38 PM
Gold Member

This is cracking me up. People eating cats. You throw the damn thing in the sticker bushes and keep the hide. I have kept some carcasses from predators and used it for crabbing before and they seem to like it any how. This reminds me of the story of cooking the animal on a cedar board and throwing away the animal once cooked and eating the cedar board because it tastes better.
Old 01-06-2012, 10:51 PM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 300 ultra View Post
This reminds me of the story of cooking the animal on a cedar board and throwing away the animal once cooked and eating the cedar board because it tastes better.
That is the ONLY edible method for preparing snow goose!!
Old 01-07-2012, 12:09 AM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6mm Remington View Post
I've eaten Mountain Lion steaks and they were excellent!! Very mild and tender.

Also eaten several differnet black bears and I really like bear meat also! The steaks were tender and had a wonderful flavor. The roast we smoked was to die for!!

Never had a good tasting bear in my life. I think that chewing on a old tire would taste better!!
Beaver, linx, bobcat, cougar are very good to eat.
Old 01-07-2012, 12:22 AM
Platinum Member

Location: The rifle range, or archery range or behind the computer in Alaska

The only things I have not eaten have been raven fodder. Wolves, coyotes and thats about it. hides, yes. Flesh, NO. Ravens ravens ravens.
Long range shooting is a process that ends with a result. Once you start to focus on the result (where the shot goes, how big the group is, what your buck will score, what your match score is, what place you are in...) then you loose the capacity to focus on the process.