Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Chatting and General Stuff > General Discussion

General Discussion Must wear red or OD green socks to participate. I can't see your socks, please be honest.

Jim Zumbo's article against Long Range Hunting

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-17-2007, 11:38 PM

Jim Zumbo\'s article against Long Range Hunting

I was referred to Outdoor Life's web page where Jim Zumbo has several basically antigun blogs posted. Here is what is has to say on Long Range Hunting:

Long range shooting
While at the SHOT Show recently, I ran into a guy who complained that too many hunters were taking excessively long shots. He's an outfitter, and witnessed plenty of people shooting at elk at distances greater than 350 yards. He suggested that that was too far, primary because the majority of those hunters had no clue of ballistics. Most were "Hail Mary" shots. I agree. We read about people making 500 yard shots and more, and that, to me, is ridiculous.

Then at the SCI convention last week, I talked to a guy who bragged that his custom gun kills deer out at 800 yards and better. To each his own, I suppose, but that isn't hunting. It's shooting. And I don't care how great a marksman you are. The risk of wounding an animal at extremely long ranges is high, and where's the sportsmanship, the ethics, the satisfaction of taking outrageously long shots? I understand there's a group in PA that shoots deer at 1,000 yards and more. More power to them. Just don't ask me to support that kind of "hunting."

Also check out his post on "Assault Rifles for Hunting?"
Thought some here might like to respond, so here is the web site:

http://outdoorlife.blogs.com/zumbo/2...ange_shoo.html
Old 02-18-2007, 07:20 AM
Silver Member

Re: Jim Zumbo\'s article against Long Range Hunting

fine,so he expressed his opinion!its people like john burns who he is referring to! he's selling it and promoting it. i hear my neighbours talking about it.

get a BDC!!! he held on the 3rd line,shot,it went down,cool. with ZERO,understanding of what he just did.they are giving us the bad name!
Old 02-18-2007, 10:27 AM

Well, lets see.......this guy's opinion is widely spread via both writing and video. He states in one blog that he is for the BANNING of certain types of firearms (assault weapons) because using them, is not hunting. Then he states long range hunting is NOT....its long range shooting.

If he will sell out ANY one in the firearms community, he is a SELL OUT to the antigun groups. He should NOT be a voice supported by the firearms industry. United we Stand, divided we fall. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/mad.gif[/img]
Old 02-18-2007, 10:50 AM
Gold Member

Jim Zumbo provides antis support.

You also need to read what Jim Zumbo has to say here.

http://outdoorlife.blogs.com/zumbo/2...t_rifles_.html
Old 02-18-2007, 01:44 PM
Platinum Member

Interesting comments being posted, such uninlightened minds. I put up one that will stick in there craw. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
Old 02-18-2007, 01:59 PM
Gold Member

I emailed all these folks about their association with him, I'm sure remington is about to drop him,got a reply from the ceo, he even hunts with an AR
webmaster@outdoorlife.com, webmaster@remington.com, tommy.millner@remington.com, dawn.lorello@swarovski.com, sales@gerberblades.com, benglish@mossyoak.com, pstrickland@mossyoak.com, domain.admin@CABELAS.COM, corporate@cabelas.com, info@stoneypoint.com, hans@himtnjerky.com, kimberly@himtnjerky.com, connie@himtnjerky.com, olletters@time4.com, elizabeth.burnham@time4.com, ashley.rosenfeld@time4.com, amanda.gastelum@time4.com, kristen.baumgarten@time4.com, amanda.mcnally@time4.com, michael.haugen@remington.com, gregory.baradat@remington.com, eddie.stevenson@remington.com

feel free to copy this list and express your feelings
JS
Old 02-18-2007, 08:16 PM
Platinum Member

I have finally risen more towards where I have always wanted to be in the universe of hunting and shooting. I'm proud to be able to say, "Who in the hell is Jim Zumbo?" I have no idea of who he is or what he does. I went to the article link and if he's the the fella w/the fuzzy lip and the curled up hat trying to look like a shooting dignitary, those kind are poured out of a standard mould. The only guys that wore hats that I trusted were O'Connor and Keith... The only thing I was concerned about with Elmer was his "stong" dislike for Golden Eagles. But they did and do take lambs and kids.....So I cut him some slack.

Additionally one of the favorite varmint rifles around this house is an SL-8 w/a Zeiss 3X9. It sure beats a bolt if you need a second shot on a yote during a walk & stalk hunt.