Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Chatting and General Stuff > General Discussion

General Discussion Must wear red or OD green socks to participate. I can't see your socks, please be honest.

Jim Zumbo talks on Nugent forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-22-2007, 06:53 PM
Platinum Member

Re: Jim Zumbo talks on Nugent forum

Jim's "heart felt" explanation was well written and even a bit moving. Almost made me feel sorry for him. However, it wasn't just the black gun statement that fired up so many sportsmen - it was his willingness to attack a segment of our fraternity. He can say anything he wants to now but we KNOW how he feels about several shooting issues.

This is a great country, in part, because of our right of free speech. But along with that right to express yourself comes the potential consequences of telling people how you feel.
Old 02-22-2007, 10:48 PM
Platinum Member

As I said on the other thread, I have never heard of the fella.

However, I do think that he learned something important and I accept his apology.

A couple of mistakes doesn't a monster make. But words mean things. Once said, words carry their meaning.

I'm amazed that the 'fraternity' could bring a fella down so quickly.
Old 02-22-2007, 11:00 PM
Official LRH Sponsor

I did not read anything about aoplogizing to long range hunters????

I guess that is not where the backing money was coming from!!!

I am all for forgiving and forgetting but until he offers a writen apology to those of us that ethically hunt at long range I have little use for the man.

If he can suddenly be educated that an AR-15 can be used for big game hunting, why is it that he can not educate himself that it is very practical to take game at ranges out past 500 yards???

I think this is one of those "stepped in it deep" apologizes and now he is looking for someone to throw him a rope so he can be pulled out of the mess be made.

Personally, I take great offense that he took a conversation he had with a personal friend of mine, about one of my 270 AM rifles, took bits and pieces from that conversation and basically spread lies about it on a public blog. That is not a man with a good heart. That is a man with an agenda that is willing to lie to make a storyline.

Personally, I am not convinced or satisfied with this apology. He totally snubbed LR hunters.

Just my opinion,

Kirby Allen(50)

Allen Precision Shooting
Home of the Allen Magnum, Allen Xpress and Allen Tactical Wildcats and the Painkiller Muzzle brakes.

Farther, Faster and Flatter then ever before.

Web Page: www.apsrifles.com

allenmagnum@gmail.com
Old 02-22-2007, 11:36 PM
Silver Member

[ QUOTE ]
I did not read anything about aoplogizing to long range hunters????

[/ QUOTE ]

I guess I am just old fashioned, or maybe just old, I am not sure. But I can't find any words in his statement that say, "I am sorry" or, "I apologize for what I said". (to anyone)

Jim
Old 02-23-2007, 01:40 AM
Platinum Member

To All:

What about this?

MATTHEW 18:21
Then came Peter to him, and said, Lord, how oft shall my brother sin against me, and I forgive him? till seven times?
MATTHEW 18:22
Jesus saith unto him, I say not unto thee, Until seven times: but, Until seventy times seven.

-----------------------------
HEBREWS 13:8
Jesus Christ the same yesterday, and to day, and for ever.

Our Lord Jesus said that as it was in the days of Noah and
also as it was in the days of Lot so it shall be in the days...
It's happening again!!! God sent to us His prophet, and His Word
to this generation and we once more are rejecting it as was prophesied!!!

---> As promised, God Sent His Prophet to us!
Old 02-23-2007, 02:51 AM
Silver Member

I don't know Mr Zumbo. I've never seen his TV show. In fact this furore is the first that I can recall ever hearing of him. (Not surprising because I'm South African).

I'm inclined to think he still misses the point. Does that mean that you can't believe that he is sincerely sorry? No, he may well be. But something needs to be said about this whole "legitimate use" and "legitimate hunting purpose" thing that keeps rearing its head, both elswhere and throughout Mr Zumbo's apology.

Does a street legal Ferrarri, or supercharged Corvette capable of 200 mph have a "legitimate purpose"? Certainly no-one "needs" one. And is using the car's capabilities fully on a public road a risk to others? Yes, depending on the extent and probably depending on who is driving. But guess what, some people own things for the entertainment factor and for their own pleasure and need to be assumed to be responsible to allow certain freedoms and liberties to be "lived out".

Once you accept the "legitimate purpose" argument it's the beginning of the end and any gun writer who jumps on that bandwagon deserves this type of response. Bill Ruger's comments about high cap magazines still cost Ruger business today, I believe, and Bill Ruger's stance on that did the shooting public a great deal of damage.

We have very onerous firearm licensing and ownership regulations and limitations here. It's a very slippery slope and no-one should be permitted unchallenged to help push the shooting fraternity onto it (by design or otherwise) whilst you as a shooter contribute to their income.

Kirby is correct in that shooters allow the "divide and conquer" approach from legislators. Many hunters don't care about an "assualt weapons ban" beacuse "I don't have, want, or need one of those!" So too high cap magazine bans. Well guess what? Your "long range sniping rifle" in an AM, Edge, or LM chambeing is next! Then your .300 WM because it too is a sniping rifle that can hit a torso size target at 600 yrds (and for most of you further). Why would anyone need that for a "legitimate hunting purpose".

Mr Zumbo still seems likley to support only certain firearms for what HE feels are "legitimate uses". What about the AR's for 3-gun? Or for plinking? (Or for shooting off a boat in Alaska which is immensley enjoyable apparently) Or for shooting once in a while at the range? On simply admiring in the safe?

Mr Zumbo sounds to me like a danger to firearm owners whilst he maintains that mentality.

Just the cynical (and plenty bitten plenty shy) comments of a South African gun owner.

Wim
Old 02-23-2007, 03:50 AM
Silver Member

I never heard of Mr. Zumbo either. Definitely not a smart move by a recognized gun writer, and I am glad several companies have booted him!

What is interesting is how many threads have been started on various boards condemning his actions, and how quickly the message was sent and action taken. I hope this same energy can be used against the politicians that threaten to take our 2nd amendment rights away.

It is crucial while this Mr. Zumbo incident is still fresh in our minds that we let our Politicians know we will not stand for them messing with our rights. Just as we let Mr. Zumbo know what he did was wrong, and wasn't tolerated. This could end up being a positive thing if we send a strong enough message. I will be writing letters to elected officials and following NRA's suggestions, itís a start.

AG