Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Chatting and General Stuff > General Discussion

General Discussion Must wear red or OD green socks to participate. I can't see your socks, please be honest.

Jim Zumbo talks on Nugent forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-22-2007, 03:49 PM
Platinum Member

Jim Zumbo talks on Nugent forum

Ted Nugent had Jim Zumbo posting on his forum today.

"The last few days have been an educational experience, to say the least. My ill-conceived inflammatory blog, as all of you now know, set off a firestorm that, Iím told, has never before been equaled. Iím not proud of that.
Let me say this at the outset. My words here are from the heart, and all mine. No one can censor me, and I answer to no one but myself. And I have no one to blame but myself. Outdoor Life, a magazine that I worked for full-time as Hunting Editor for almost 30 years, fired me yesterday. My TV show was cancelled yesterday. Many of my sponsors have issued statements on their website to sever all relationships. This may cause many of you to do backflips and dance in the streets, but, of course, Iím not laughing, nor am I looking for sympathy. I donít want a pity party.

They say hindsight is golden. Looking back, I canít believe I said the words ďbanĒ and ďterroristĒ in the context that I did. I donít know what I was thinking when I wrote that. I can explain this as sheer ignorance and an irresponsible use of words. What Iíve learned over the last few days has enlightened and amazed me. As a guy who hunts 200 days a year, does seminars on hunting, wrote for six hunting magazines, had a hunting TV show, and wrote 20 books on hunting, how could I have been so ignorant and out of touch with reality in the world of hunting and shooting?

But I was. I really canít explain it, maybe because I just summarily dismissed the firearms in question in my mind when I saw them in magazines and catalogs. I saw one ďblackĒ firearm in a hunting camp in all my 50 years of hunting, and I shot one last year off a boat when fishing in Alaska. To tell the truth, it was fun and I enjoyed it immensely, but I never considered one for use in hunting. I have to tell you that I have had a revelation. Iím learning that many of my pals own AR-15ís and similar firearms and indeed use them for hunting. I was totally unaware that they were being used for legitimate hunting purposes. That is the absolute truth.

My biggest regret is not the financial impact of all this. Iím almost 67 and retirement is an option. The dreadful impact here is that I inadvertently struck a spear into the hearts of the people I love mostÖAmericaís gun owners. And, even though this huge cadre of dedicated people have succeeded in stripping me of my career, I hold no grudges. I will continue to stand as firm on pro hunting as Iíve ever done. But whatís different now is that Iíll do all I can to educate others who are, or were, as ignorant as I was about ďblackĒ rifles and the controversy that surrounds them. My promise to you is that Iíll learn all I can about these firearms, and by the time this week is out, Iíll order one. The NUGE has invited me to hunt with him using AR-15ís, and Iím eager to go, and learn. Iíll do all I can to spread the word.

I understand that many of you will not accept this apology, believing that the damage has been done and thereís no way to repair it. You have that right. But let me say this. I mentioned this above, and Iíll repeat it. Iím willing to seize this opportunity to educate hunters and shooters who shared my ignorance. If youíre willing to allow me to do that, we can indeed, in my mind, form a stronger bond within our ranks. Maybe in a roundabout way we can bring something good out of this."

Jim Zumbo
Old 02-22-2007, 04:47 PM
Gold Member

Re: Jim Zumbo talks on Nugent forum

I know Jim Zumbo. I believe that his apology is heart felt and he did speak out through ignorance and not thinking. I'm sorry to see him leave for all the good he has done over the years.
Old 02-22-2007, 05:38 PM
Platinum Member

i don't know him other than a TV hunting personality, but i've always liked him better than most.i'm like him in that i've never thought much about owning a black rifle. heck i've never even had one in my hands much less fired one.but i do know that as far as law enforcement and the military, they're the cats meow!

i believe his apology is for real and we'll see him doing advertisements for, you guessed it, black rifles in the near future.

the man made a mistake. yeah it was a big mistake.last i checked there was only one guy that could claim he never made any. i say we let it go because this kind of internal chastisement is not good for our sport.
Old 02-22-2007, 05:59 PM
Platinum Member

Nothing against Jim Zumbo that I don't hold against anyone using political terms such as assault weapons,ban, or referring to anyone useing an AR,SKS or other firearm as a terrorist.
<font color="red">The line has ben drawn-I for one will back it up as often as necessary!! </font>
Old 02-22-2007, 06:09 PM
Gold Member

[ QUOTE ]
I will continue to stand as firm on pro hunting as Iíve ever done. But whatís different now is that Iíll do all I can to educate others who are, or were, as ignorant as I was about ďblackĒ rifles and the controversy that surrounds them.
Jim Zumbo

[/ QUOTE ]

67 yrs old and still hasnt got a clue what the 2nd Amendment represents.
Old 02-22-2007, 06:15 PM
Silver Member

The apology demonstrates that he still misses the fundamental complaint. The debate is not what is an appropriate type of rifle for hunting, but what is appropriate for citizens to own. The complaints are not about hunting, but about the fundamental right to own. He still is missing that point. He might start to understand the point if it were re-phrased, "ban all R700's because few people really NEED to hunt to survive."

The key point is that the radicals, yes "radical liberals," that were our founding fathers such as Jefferson, Washington, Franklin, Adams, et al., enshrined the right to own, not to assure the right to go hunting, but to limit the power of those who govern and assure that citizens always have the ultimate power to resist an oppressive government from which they had just freed themselves.

Here is a link to some of the thoughts of our founding fathers and framers of the Constitution. If we fail to defend all of our Constitution principles and protections even for those we do not personally like, the principles and protections will not be there for us when we need them.

http://www.gmu.edu/departments/econo...otes/arms.html
Old 02-22-2007, 06:18 PM
Platinum Member

I started to say what Dave W said and couldn't figure out how to make it sound right. I have no love for black guns other than for military type purposes. I understand that other people do like them but I fail to understand why.
I have only seen one such gun in the woods and it had an illegal magazine in it. I know the daddy of the kid and I am sure he was emabarrassed to death to have his son out deer hunting with it.

Some days I get to thinking about the "good old days" and come out with some real pearls of wisdom myself like "Gameboy generation".

Although, I guess Zumbo did not apologize to us long range hunters so he may not be fully cognizant of all of his errors.