Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Chatting and General Stuff > General Discussion

General Discussion Must wear red or OD green socks to participate. I can't see your socks, please be honest.

Jim Zumbo repents!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-11-2007, 09:28 PM
Silver Member

Jim Zumbo repents!

There is an article in the new Issue of SWAT magazine written by Jim Zumbo.

He tries to explain his thought process when writing his blog and how, through the help and intervention of a lot of people, he has come to realize how wrong he was.

It does not come off as self serving, at least not to me, but as the honest effort of someone who simply spoke without knowing anything about what he was talking about, something which celebrities of all kinds seem to do.

He points out that he is a hunter, not a gun guy, and that he honestly didn't see why there was so much fascination with the "Black Rifles".

He repeatedly admits he screwed up, big time, by speaking about something which he knew nothing about.

It satisfies me that he has changed his position on our beloved rifles, and boy has he paid a heavy price for having been stupid!

Bill

The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government.

Thomas Jefferson

http://waitesandbalances.blogspot.com/
Old 08-11-2007, 09:53 PM
Platinum Member

Imagine what a better world it would be if we crucified these jokers as bad as we did Zumbo!!
Mrs. FEINSTEIN
Mr. KENNEDY
Mr. LEVIN
Mr.MENENDEZ
Ms. MIKULSKI
Mrs. CLINTON
Mr. DURBIN
Mrs. BOXER
Mr. LAUTENBERG
Mr. SCHUMER
Mr. DODD
Old 08-12-2007, 03:56 PM
Platinum Member

I have that same magizine and was pretty impressed that he has done a 180 on his views on the "black rifles" its just to bad that he opened his mouth before engaging his brain , must not have gotten back handed enough when he was kid.

I met his at a big RMEF show one time about 10 years ago , he looked lost , i walked up and introduced myself and we talked about hunting Elk in Arizona for about 30 min , he is a pretty nice guy and seemed very sociable. To bad that he has a huge scar on his resume now.

Maybe he should have a 300 RSUM built on an AR-10 and hunt with that for a while
Old 08-12-2007, 04:12 PM
Silver Member

Well, it was a huge mistake, but I, of course, have NEVER opened MY mouth before engaging my brain!!

Time to forgive and move on in my point of view!

Bill

The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government.

Thomas Jefferson

Old 08-12-2007, 04:44 PM
Official LRH Sponsor

Thats all fine for the AR crowd but you may remember that another issue was his hammering comments toward long range hunting. Seems he has not changed his opinion on us long range hunters???????

That would not get him out of retirement however, sucking up to the AR crowd possibly will.

I do not think he has changed his mind at all, he is a main stream gun writer who has for years spoke his mind as honestly as anyone out there. Only this time his ego caught up with him and now that he got flattened by the response, he is "changing" his opinon of ARs for use in the field.

I am not convinced, to many gun writers for the major rags writing about what they are told to right and not enough speaking from the heart. Zumbo used to write from the heart, he told us exactly what he honestly felt, now he has folded in an attempt to get back in the game.

I say this only because he has addressed only half of the groups he offended with his comments, and by the way, its the half where the money comes from. Interesting how that works.

I am not one to kick a guy when hes down but I see nothing that changes my opinion of Zumbo. I think he should just enjoy his retirement personally. Maybe I am being to hard on the guy but the simple fact that it was a conversation with one of my customers about one of my custom rifles that started his comments on his blog against long range shooters that I take personal offense to. He has not tried to address those comments in any way and the only reason he addressed his AR comments is because he either had to or it was over for him. It would make no difference if he addressed us long range shooters and hunters so he did not make any attempt to do so.

If there was no reason to address the AR crowd he would not have done that either but there is a reason, a big reason, its $$$$!!!! Plain and simple.

I can respect a guy for being honest with his feelings. I can disagree with everything he stands for but as long as his feelings are legit and honest, I respect anyone for that, his flip flop does not earn him any respect in my book because he is still an uneducated man on the subject of long range hunting and I guarantee he still feels it should not be done.

Again, anyone has their right to forgive and forget, I choose to simply forget......

As for the list of people we should hammer, I agree totally, hard to do that though when the media that covers them is in their back pocket!!! as are well over half of the citizens of the US that have not a clue about what those people actually do everyday!!!

Hell most of the people that have been polled as to why they would vote for hilary in '08 said simply because she is a women. Is that not scary as hell!!!!!

Enough rant!!!! I hope Zumbo has truely changes his feelings but I know that has not happened toward long range hunters and that was my original main beef with him. Unfortunately he sounds like the current batch of Democrats flip flopping with the way the wind blows.

Kirby Allen(50)

Allen Precision Shooting
Home of the Allen Magnum, Allen Xpress and Allen Tactical Wildcats and the Painkiller Muzzle brakes.

Farther, Faster and Flatter then ever before.

Web Page: www.apsrifles.com

allenmagnum@gmail.com
Old 08-12-2007, 05:21 PM
Silver Member

The issue with LRH is that only a small percentage of hunters are capable of it.

The truth is that of all the hunters I know personally, maybe 1% have put in the time to actually be successful at it. The vast majority of hunters have NO business taking shots over 300 yards, much less more than 600!

Go to any range. Most of the guys sight in at 100 yards, and call it good. I've watched dozens of guys in the last few weeks getting ready for hunting season, only 1 of them went to the 400 yard range and shot, and he was going to Africa!!

Zumbo may be right about the vast majority of hunters, even if he isn't right about the guys here on this board.

I'm not ready to shoot over 500 yards myself, I need lots more practice, to attend a long range training course, and to just flat get better.

Zumbo may very well be in the same boat with LRH as he was with AR's, completely uneducated about the existence and possibilities of the weapons and systems.

If I had heard about 1000+ yard shots on game a year ago I would have screamed about the ethics of such an endeavor, having haunted the board for a while, I find LRH guys to be among the most ethical of hunters. Zumbo may need the same education!

Bill

Thomas Jefferson

Old 08-12-2007, 09:40 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MachV View Post
Imagine what a better world it would be if we crucified these jokers as bad as we did Zumbo!!
Mrs. FEINSTEIN
Mr. KENNEDY
Mr. LEVIN
Mr.MENENDEZ
Ms. MIKULSKI
Mrs. CLINTON
Mr. DURBIN
Mrs. BOXER
Mr. LAUTENBERG
Mr. SCHUMER
Mr. DODD
Right on MachV !!