Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Chatting and General Stuff > General Discussion

General Discussion Must wear red or OD green socks to participate. I can't see your socks, please be honest.

Jim Zumbo

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-14-2009, 09:20 PM
Platinum Member

Jim Zumbo

I had read in some posts where Jim Zumbo was mentioned in a derogatory way. I was wondering why that was? I'm just curious, not trying to open a can of worms here.
Old 01-14-2009, 10:06 PM
Gold Member

Re: Jim Zumbo

Some time ago Zumbo wrote on his on-line blog bad mouthing AR type rifles and refering to them as terrorist guns. Anti-gunners immediately grabbed that and ran with it. It cost him tremendously with loss of endorsements.
Old 01-14-2009, 11:06 PM
Platinum Member

...rest of the story is that Zummy profusely apologized on Ted Nugent's show for having had a brain fart. Nugent single handedly saved his career and Jim's back now on tv good as new. Outdoor Life is currently firing everyone now anyway so Jims job loss wasnt so great. The endor$ements may have been another thing.

NRA Life Member
Old 01-14-2009, 11:22 PM
Platinum Member

Spell his name correctly, that's "Dumbo" Jim Dumbo
Old 01-15-2009, 10:33 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwp475 View Post
Spell his name correctly, that's "Dumbo" Jim Dumbo
Exactly
Old 01-16-2009, 09:22 AM
Platinum Member

thanks guys!
Old 01-16-2009, 11:40 AM
Official LRH Sponsor

He also specifically attached long range hunters and posted on his blog of the unethical means that long range hunters us to take big game and that very few are compitent at doing this.

A personal customer of mine had a conversation with Zumbo at an archery convention and they got into a conversation about long range hunting. During the entire conversation, Zumbo never said a negative thing about long range hunting or those that do it. He asked many questions about the rifles my customer was using and the ranges that he was taking game at.

My customer told me he seemed interested about this type of hunting so he freely offered all the answers to the questions he asked as any of us would.

Then a week later, Zumbo posts on his blog about that exact conversation with my customer and then went on to hammer long range hunters. Seems he is a wolf in sheeps clothing in that case.......

I will say, he did apologize for his uneducated comments about semi-auto rifles, specifically the AR-15 platform.

He NEVER offered any remorse for putting the knife in the backs of his fellow hunters, just because they can shoot at longer range then he can.

THE ONLY REASON he apologized was because he HAD TO. It was the only way for him to survive. I do not give him credit for apologizing, I give Uncle Ted credit for bring hunters and shooters back together and reuniting them after Zumbos extremely stupid comments that certainly could have done some damage to our sport.

Simply put, when you refuse to apologize for an uneducated comment for a period of time and then only do so because your career was in ruins, sounds like a pretty hollow apology to me.

I for one am still waiting for him to pull the knife out of our backs. Those of us that are long range hunters. Unfortunately, the fire has been pulled off his feet, there will never be one offered to us.

Allen Precision Shooting
Home of the Allen Magnum, Allen Xpress and Allen Tactical Wildcats and the Painkiller Muzzle brakes.

Farther, Faster and Flatter then ever before.

Web Page: www.apsrifles.com

allenmagnum@gmail.com