Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Chatting and General Stuff > General Discussion

General Discussion Must wear red or OD green socks to participate. I can't see your socks, please be honest.

Jamison 408 Chey Tac brass updates....

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-18-2007, 03:27 PM
Official LRH Sponsor

Stephen,

I would have to say, I would bet the brass he has is not quailty as they are just now starting to run the lot of brass with all the corrections except the properly speced primer pocket.

As such, they will survive high pressure loadings but the primer pocket will loosen up quickly. STill, that lot of brass has just been made, I suspect he does not have them because those are the test cases I was set to work with and offer a review back to Jamison.

Kirby Allen(50)

Allen Precision Shooting
Home of the Allen Magnum, Allen Xpress and Allen Tactical Wildcats and the Painkiller Muzzle brakes.

Farther, Faster and Flatter then ever before.

Web Page: www.apsrifles.com

allenmagnum@gmail.com
Old 12-18-2007, 10:58 PM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiftydriver View Post
Stephen,

I would have to say, I would bet the brass he has is not quailty as they are just now starting to run the lot of brass with all the corrections except the properly speced primer pocket.

As such, they will survive high pressure loadings but the primer pocket will loosen up quickly. STill, that lot of brass has just been made, I suspect he does not have them because those are the test cases I was set to work with and offer a review back to Jamison.

Kirby Allen(50)

Kirby, I have that same Brass that you do. It was hand delivered to me by the CFO of Jamison who happens to live 20 minutes from me.

In fact, I'm sending some off to Shawn Carlock this week so he can test some in rifles he is building.

As you know Jamison put brass out several months ago that is isn't fit for the trash heap. The primer pockets looked twisted like a pretzle. That is why they retooled the plant to make better brass.

Fortunaltely, Jamison has done a lot to make better brass. Unfortunatley, we have been waiting a long time to get it.

I'm also sending some of my solid 350 grain bullets to some guys for testing on the 375 CT. If you want to test some on your 375 AM, shoot me a PM.
Old 12-19-2007, 09:35 AM

408 brass

I paided this guy $500.00 by pay-pal back in Feb. 07 I have asked many times that I want my $$$ back. I get the same repley that the brass will be here any day.What can I do????

Thanks Stephen
Old 12-19-2007, 10:38 AM
Gold Member

Stephen, I relayed the same info to you as was given to me by Jamison. It's not like everyone around had brass except me. If you wanted your money back I would have gladly sent it.

I apologise for the delay, but every who needed this brass knows that Jamison has issues with quality and it took some time to get to this point.

I have many satified customers on this forum who have done business with me. I feel bad that you are not one of them.

Per your request, I sent you 20 pieces of Brass to try. If you like them I will send the rest. If not I will promptly refund your money. Regardless, I will also send you some of my 375 bullets as a gesture of goodwill.

Hope you and I can make amends.
Old 12-19-2007, 10:58 AM
Platinum Member

You know the problems with the brass have just about killed my desire to build one of these and I have even discussed it with my Smith but from what I keep reading there are some real problems with getting brass!
Old 12-19-2007, 06:25 PM
Gold Member

Kirby, and the rest of the "Fire Breathing Dragon" shooters

I have talked with Marc Jamison about the 408 brass, i gave him the measurements from two other brass makers primer pockets. The best brass ever made was from Horneber in germany. Those pockets were .207 vs .208 or larger from jamison. Marc said he uses the mil spec standard on pockets, .208. He was adament about this. I tried to explain the difference between a 308 case and a 408 case primer pocket but he didnt seem to care at all what i had to say, he wanted my opinon on the brass he sent for me to test, then when i gave him my results,,,,he didnt want to hear it. Everything i told him is what you came up with. I ran some pretty hefty loads through my German brass and no failure.

I'm sure now that Chey-Tac has brought in the Winchester consultants the brass problem will get fixed. When the added machines get tooled up there will be plenty of brass for the sportsman consumer. Right now all brass is going to Chey-Tac for military contracts.

"Let the good times roll"
Old 12-19-2007, 10:46 PM
Gold Member

I can't believe brass is this difficult.... I would think you take a sample of lapua brass, have the composition "proximated" and then form it. It seems the forming part is the easiest. Why has lapua always been so good and the big big US plants so far behind? If it's quanity related then why wouldn't Jamison be able to be follow lapua? It seems many one man shops can master bullet making but not even one small company can duplicate lapua's work? I sent lapua an email asking about 300 RUM brass and they said there wasn't enough interest...... so everyone please email them and ask for another 1,000,000 cases!!!!