Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Chatting and General Stuff > General Discussion

General Discussion Must wear red or OD green socks to participate. I can't see your socks, please be honest.

Jack O'Connor vs Elmer Keith

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-24-2005, 08:59 PM
Platinum Member

Jack O\'Connor vs Elmer Keith

Whoda thunk it?

Wonder how I would have turned out if I would have listened to Elmer instead of Jack?

Got hung up on the 270 Win for over 30 years. Though it did all that was asked of it, chucks, coyotes, muleys, even a moose. No elk yet but that's not the cartridge's fault.

Been accurizing a purchased used Rem 700 338 Win and really enjoying it.

Been developing loads for a Ruger #1 375 H&H. Todays efforts showed me that 5 grains of case weight increases velocity roughly 50 fps.

Shot 2, 3 shot groups. both went under an inch. I was pleased.

Also got to shoot a 378 WBY. inside barrel work was by P.O Ackley (that's cool). Outside bbl and action work was by shootin' buddy's dad. Another local guy did the stock. Rifle was put together in the 60s and hadn't been shot in years. It was a bit heavy, maybe 12 lbs or so. Action was an enfield with what had to be the original trigger. Had to move the stool back twice to take up the slack. Recoil pad said "Herters" on it. Talk about an trip back in time. It was like shooting a piece of history.

Scope was a 2-bit 4X of some sort. Long story short. No sweat, I wasn't even askeer'd.

The most impressive thing about the whole deal was the SMACK that the 270gr bullet @ 3000 fps made when it hit the blow sand back stop. Took several minutes for the dust to settle. Now that's addictive [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]

My H&H 270 gr at a whimmpy 2600 just kinda dug a hole. I kinda just hung my head and scratched dirt with my foot. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crazy.gif[/img]

Diggin' around this evening I learned that there's a 338-378 WBY. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/shocked.gif[/img] What action would be good for this one? What size scoop shovel to get the powder in? Should I buy stock in Kennicot copper and Alliant? Wow, this is fun![img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img] [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img] [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img] [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

Good shootin' guys. It was just a flat good day. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

Oh yea, almost forgot. Fire formed some 350 Griffon & Howe cases. Betcha not many has heard of that one.
Old 06-24-2005, 09:08 PM
Gold Member

Re: Jack O\'Connor vs Elmer Keith

I have a friend that has 3 on Ruger #1's.(338/378)
Old 06-24-2005, 10:41 PM
Platinum Member

They were both wrong!!!!!!!!!!

A 270 is NOT the answer for everything, and a cannon is not good to kill the mosquito with-especially if it makes you flinch!
There is no such thing as the pefect gun or a one gun arsenal. YOUSA GOTSA HAVA LOTSA!!
Pull it
Dump it

If it's not far, it's boring.
Old 06-25-2005, 06:23 AM
Platinum Member

[ QUOTE ]
They were both wrong!!!!!!!!!!

YOUSA GOTSA HAVA LOTSA!!

[/ QUOTE ]

GG: Dont' think they were wrong, just stuck in their thinkin' which was good for as narrow as it was.

OBTW it goes like this. "you can lead a horse to drink but you can't make him water!" [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img] [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]