Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Chatting and General Stuff > General Discussion

General Discussion Must wear red or OD green socks to participate. I can't see your socks, please be honest.

J-lock Rem 700 Question?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-05-2004, 11:14 PM
Silver Member

J-lock Rem 700 Question?

I have a Rem 700 BDL long action with the new J-Lock feature on the bolt shroud.

I was told that I had to get after market shroud in order to have trigger work done. Is this correct?

When I was told this, I thought that I could just get older style bolt assembly but I was told this would change the head space. Is this true?

From what I understand I don't believe either is true but thought maybe someone that does smith work could shed some light.

Thanks for any help. [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
Old 12-06-2004, 04:15 AM
Silver Member

Re: J-lock Rem 700 Question?

I was told that I had to get after market shroud in order to have trigger work done. Is this correct? No, just adjust the trigger.

When I was told this, I thought that I could just get older style bolt assembly but I was told this would change the head space. Is this true? Yes...... Anytime you change the bolt, head space must be checked and adjusted. At the factory head space is set to the bolt that is used when assembling the rifle. If the bolt is just swapped a dangerous situation can arise. If you were to call Remington for a replacement bolt for your rifle they will not sell it to you unless you ship them the rifle for them to headspace it. You can however buy after market bolts but they still must be head spaced!

Hope this helps,
Frank D

PS I am not a smith but have been down this road.......

[ 12-06-2004: Message edited by: demarpaint ]
Old 12-06-2004, 06:11 AM
Gold Member

To get rid of the j-lock they offer firing pin assembly which includes a new shroud or you can just get a shroud. I had heard some stories about that j-lock etc and think maybe your gunsmith is just trying to play safe and before I had my trigger work done I got rid of the j-lock. I'm not a gunsmith
Old 12-06-2004, 09:35 AM
Silver Member

thanks, do either of you know if there older stlye shrouds will fit in place of the newer shrouds. my thought was it should but i'm not a smith and really would only be guessing myself. thanks again.
Old 12-06-2004, 03:08 PM
Gold Member

Changed out a J-lock last spring on my 6.5-08. Put in a Tubb SpeedLock wanted to go w/ a new shroud. Despite what Brownell's told me, I needed an *old* length cocking piece, and an *old* size bolt shroud. The new J-lock cocking piece is slightly longer to accomodate the lock mechanism in the shroud.

Not a terribly difficult job, w/ the right tools (voice of experience, after being impatient and doing it w/o the right tools first). Get a bolt assembly changing tool, such as the Kleindorst tool from Sinclair's, it's handy for taking the whole assembly (shroud, pin, spring) out of the bolt body for cleaning anyway, and then get their Possum Hollow mainspring changing tool.

Basically all you do is remove the major assembly from the bolt body, put it in the mainspring changing tool, and crank on the knob until it takes the tension off. Unscrew the shroud, slip out the pin retaining the cocking piece to the firing pin, change the parts, and reassemble. It's been a while so bear w/ me if the description isn't exact or misses something.

Monte
Old 12-06-2004, 06:22 PM
Gold Member

Reason I changed the whole assembly was that firing pin spring looked like a snake. I really cann't answer about just the shroud but think you could use an after market shroud with the right tools.
Old 12-06-2004, 06:37 PM
Silver Member

Milanuk - do you think i would be able to use parts off one of the older assemblys or can only use after market part?

Ithank everyone for their help and input.
[img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]