Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Chatting and General Stuff > General Discussion

General Discussion Must wear red or OD green socks to participate. I can't see your socks, please be honest.

The Italian Screw Machine nears Completion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-16-2011, 08:39 AM
Platinum Member

Re: The Italian Screw Machine nears Completion

308Nate asked me about who wrote the G Code (whatever that is). . .
That was before I revealed the lathe was LEGO driven.
Nate, getcher kids a Mindstorms set and get'em started early. This is one of my funnest projects.

Here's the code.

It seems this stuff is designed for elementary school kids. Geeze I fit right in.

Oh, for full effect click on the bottom three pics in the first post. They're videos.
Attached Thumbnails - Click to View Larger
The Italian Screw Machine nears Completion-shank-code.jpg  

Last edited by royinidaho; 04-16-2011 at 09:19 AM.
Old 04-16-2011, 09:54 AM
Silver Member

At first glance at the title I thought Berlosconi was at it again! Very much like the results,But don't think a similar work shop is gonna fly with the wife.

Any plans for 30cal.?
Old 04-16-2011, 10:32 AM
Platinum Member

Shorty,

There isn't much need for a new 30 cal bullet as there are plenty of selections available for every use.

My motivation is the lack of 270 cal offerings. Many manufacturers are introducing new bullets on a regular basis. However, they skip from 6.5 to 7mm, right over the 270 cal.

I figure there are plenty of 270 shooters that would like a much higher bc that what is offered in a 160 class bullet. The 160 grain range is about right for the WSM and a bit heavy for the Winchester cartridge. However, the same process can be used for the 130 and 140 grain offerings bringing them both to a much more respectable BC and about 10 more grains of weight.

Plus to me, a higher bc 160 grain offering that will handle the riggers of my 270 AM and it's extreme velocities is the great benefit. Push the 160 w/a .6+ bc @ 3500 to 3600 FPS and see what time is taken off flight time at 1500 yards. Its worth the labor!
Old 04-17-2011, 12:29 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by royinidaho View Post
308Nate asked me about who wrote the G Code (whatever that is). . .
That was before I revealed the lathe was LEGO driven.
Nate, getcher kids a Mindstorms set and get'em started early. This is one of my funnest projects.

Here's the code.

It seems this stuff is designed for elementary school kids. Geeze I fit right in.

Oh, for full effect click on the bottom three pics in the first post. They're videos.
my boy just won "excellence in engineering" awards at the state science fair from both he army and air force using the nxt just gotta look out when you walk in the room cause his robot might be on *attack* mode!
by the way love the idea! however that doesn't look like the expanded code
Old 04-17-2011, 12:39 PM
Silver Member

Roy, I just ran the numbers thru JBM using local conditions.

TOF at 1500...1.880...Impressive.
Old 04-17-2011, 02:08 PM
Platinum Member

Load,
Expanded code...I have no idea of what that is. . . Maybe your son can give me some pointer......Really. I'm going to switch to a "C" type code. I better understand that kind of language. Plus its more flexible.

Shorty,

The much more rough (inconsistent) ones I shot for terminal performance were sporting accurate @ 200 yds, around MOA and terminally spot on.

Some will be in the air in the near future so we'll see about the "in the field" bc.
Old 04-17-2011, 05:23 PM
Gold Member

Roy, that is so cool!! Does the Mrs. catch the tip when it comes flying off at the end?

Raptor Stalker by
Kirby Allen APS