Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Chatting and General Stuff > General Discussion

General Discussion Must wear red or OD green socks to participate. I can't see your socks, please be honest.

I'm thinking about getting a dog.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-26-2005, 07:37 AM
Bronze Member

Re: I\'m thinking about getting a dog.

Talk to some breaders they ALL have pups that are not of show or bread quality.(cheap).
Old 01-26-2005, 08:00 AM
Gold Member

I see a lot of Drahthars here in Germany and i personaly wouldn't touch one with a barge pole. But thats personal Preference i aren't keen on them. Drahts are stubborn, pig headed and need a heavey hand, they need to be made aware of who the alfa male is regularly.
having said that, they respond to training well,are highly intelligent and they make an excellent deer dog, or an excellent bird dog, they are hardy and willing, if you have the work for such a dog then a Draht is a good hunting dog. The problems i see with them here in Germany are 1 where a dog is required to bring down a wounded deer one month but not to chase a deer during a pheasant hunt a month later. And 2 where the dog doesn't get much work and goes mad when it finaly gets chance to chase something. I'm a firm believer in having a dog for a particular application. I have an English Springer Spaniel, she is a fantastic bird / rabbit/ hare dog. she will blood trail too. But she is not a dog for bringing down a wounded beast. she isn't hyper like most spaniels.
If i had to have a drahthaar as a bird dog i would choose a small bitch, they seem to behave and are less pig headed.
If i wanted one as a deer dog, i'd pick a large dog.
If you have enough time to train and work a drahthaar correctly they are a superb dog, if you only hunt occasionaly and don't have lots of time for the dog, then you would be better off with something with less temparament, like a labrador.
Pete
Old 01-26-2005, 03:17 PM
Platinum Member

Tho and Pete. Thanks for your input.

I won't be hunting deer with it but I did think about training it to run coyotes back to the shooter. A friend of mine made the same point you did. He said "What do you think the dog will do when you are out hunting phesants and it crosses a coyote track? If you don't want it to take of looking for the coyote then don't train it that way." Message understood.

Thanks again guys.
Old 01-26-2005, 03:33 PM
Silver Member

Out here in Eastern NC, running deer and foxes with dogs is a big sport. There are several fox pens that decided to turn coyotes out in the pen. BAD IDEA. On several incidents, the coyotes turned on deer dogs (mainly walkers) and the outcome it not pretty, a wild dog is much tougher than your average family dog. This isn't to say that the coyote will immediately turn on the dog before the shooter gets a chance to shoot him, but I would not want to put a good bird dog in the way of a coyote intintially. Just my .02
Old 01-28-2005, 01:23 AM
Platinum Member

The coyote running I'm talking about is not the typical persuit that I think you are talking about. It is where your trained dogs present themselves to view by coyotes and then they run back to the shooter with the territorial coyotes chasing them. When the coyotes stop their chase the dogs run back and get them fired up again. After a few back and forth chasings about the shooter dumps the coyote as they stand in range watching the dogs.

E.L.K. Products has a series of videos showing this being done and it is remarkable. When the dogs are present the coyotes will hang around even after one of them has been shot.
Old 01-28-2005, 04:51 AM
Gold Member

Hell ive seen Muntjak deer chase spaniels and labs, agressive little sods they are. I figure a Drahthaar could hold its own against a coyotee, most of the shoots i go on the things end up scrapping with each other anyway.
If you do get one, keep it to one disciplin. If you do want to cross train it, then train it to stalk deer and blood trail on a leash. don't let it chase a wounded deer. teach it to stalk and point deer first, blood trail second and as a bird dog third. Bieng steady to deer will mean it will be steady on other game, it must point and it must stay pointing until you command it to spring the game. It will learn that deer are associated with the leash. when it is running free it is after small game/birds. Thoroughly train it, study the best training material available, work the dog often and refresher training is also important.
good luck !!
Pete
Old 01-28-2005, 05:06 PM
Platinum Member

Dankeschoen zum das hilf Herr Lincoln. Wie heist das jegerhund aus Deutchland?
(Thanks for the help Mr. Lincoln. What do they name hunting dogs from Germany?)

I didn't do so well in my college German class AND it has been many years but I figured I would give it a go. Mostly I'm wondering what types of names they give to bird dogs over there.

Also I have pretty much decided to limit the training to common obediance training, pointing upland birds and retreiving ducks and geese. Training in these areas however will hopefully be thorough.