Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Chatting and General Stuff > General Discussion

General Discussion Must wear red or OD green socks to participate. I can't see your socks, please be honest.

I'm sending a letter to the teacher.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-12-2007, 09:25 PM
Gold Member

Re: I\'m sending a letter to the teacher.

Here's a link to species at risk in Alberta. You'll notice that black bear is NOT on the list. I find this stuff so unbelieveable, it just shows how uneducated some people are.

In the mountains west of Calgary, you're likely to have more run ins with Mr. Grizz than anything else sometimes. So if Black Bears are at risk, then the Grizzlies we see must be extinct. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

Alberta Species At Risk
Old 04-13-2007, 12:48 AM
Platinum Member

Thanks guys for the help and support. I found the majority of the info on the net about bear populations long and a bit dry.

.25AOD the info you gave would have been perfect if it just had some sort of before and after numbers. Thanks again for the time you took to help.

This is what I composed that will be going to school with my son. The son of a man who will bein the hills of Idaho this afternoon taking part in the balanced regulation of our black bear populations. I hope I get a fatty. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

From the homework sheet sent home with Tanner titled “Why do bears attack campgrounds?” I saw this paragraph:

"The black bears are in danger of becoming extinct. Each year more of their wilderness homes are destroyed. Some hunters kill more than the law allows. In the 1930's grizzly bears disappeared. Unless people are more careful, the black bears will also be gone one day."

The fact of the matter is that this paragraph, along with the rest of the paper was not presented as fictional, however this paragraph does not contain a single true statement.

Black bears are not recognized as endangered or threatened or even unhealthy in their population in either Canada or the United States. Factually the populations are reduced from time to time to maintain a healthy balance. There is no sign that the black bear is going to become extinct at any foreseeable point in the future.

The black bears wilderness homes are not being destroyed. Wilderness, by definition, is an unpopulated or sparsely populated area. Urban sprawl has no effect on wilderness habitat. The habitat that is being populated by humans currently also supports bear populations as pointed out in the first several paragraphs of this homework. As evidenced by many reports and modern game management techniques the bear population is healthier that it has ever been in recorded history in spite of increased human populations.

People that kill more bears than the law allows are not “hunters”. They are poachers, criminals, thieves and often trespassers. These semantics aside, the effect they have on bear populations is not significant today now that proper regulations are in place. This sentence is here for the sole purpose of painting hunters in a negative light. That generalization would be a lawsuit if the word “hunters” were replaced with any racial designation. There are hunters of every background so the statement would still be true but the reason for the sentence is magnified when this single change is made. It is a grossly offensive statement.

The grizzly did not disappear. They did not vanish. They did not become extinct. In the 1930’s the hunting was largely unregulated in the regions where grizzly bear roamed in the continental states. They were simply over hunted. There have always been many many Grizzly in Canada and Alaska and the populations, again, due to good management are now healthy and thriving in their natural habitat in the continental states. This just happens to be a small area.

Unless people are more careful with what, will the bears be gone one day? As stated before, the populations are fine. What sort of vague fear is this supposed to conjure in my kids’ mind?

This last paragraph on the homework sheet has not a single thing to do with the title of why bears attack campgrounds. Furthermore, bears do NOT attack campgrounds. Their natural curiosity and the smells that abound in a campground invite them in.

Do not present this type of propaganda to my child again. It is offensive. It is false. And it has my attention.

Sincerely,

Papa Bear [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
Old 04-13-2007, 07:26 AM
Silver Member

[ QUOTE ]

.25AOD the info you gave would have been perfect if it just had some sort of before and after numbers. Thanks again for the time you took to help.

[/ QUOTE ]

Ahhhh... it did. Look at the article it says "in 1870 there were approximately 80,000 black bears in BC... now there's between 120,000 and 160,000" Those look like before and after #s to me. It also states the Black Bear is the most widely distributed large predator in North America. I know that sounds like an endangered species to me! ~JT
Old 04-13-2007, 09:18 AM
Platinum Member

Sometimes when I go to the cupboard or the pantry I can't find what I'm looking for. I insist that we are out of that item. Then my wife comes over and points to the large container in the front on the middle shelf. It is surprising how often the thing she is pointing at is the item I was looking for.

Oops. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/blush.gif[/img]

I will certainly be printing your page if I have any follow up meetings witht the teacher over the issue.
Old 04-13-2007, 09:49 AM
Silver Member

[ QUOTE ]
Sometimes when I go to the cupboard or the pantry I can't find what I'm looking for. I insist that we are out of that item. Then my wife comes over and points to the large container in the front on the middle shelf. It is surprising how often the thing she is pointing at is the item I was looking for.

Oops. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/blush.gif[/img]

I will certainly be printing your page if I have any follow up meetings witht the teacher over the issue.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah... I know how it goes. My wife does the same thing to me all the time. I have a theory on it: I think the Uteris contains some kind of tracking device which enables women to find all kinds of misc. items. Although, my wife is currently pregnant with our first child and I've found out the tracking device doesn't work as well when it's occupied.
Good luck with the teacher, let us all know how it goes. ~JT
Old 04-13-2007, 10:49 PM
Bronze Member

We have too many in areas of Alaska. They can decimate the moose populations.

There are estimates of over 100,000 in the state. We're having a predator control hunt up here this summer where the Fish and Game Dept. wants to eleminate 900-1400 black bears in a specific area.

Here's an article: http://www.adn.com/news/alaska/wildl...-8681979c.html
Old 04-14-2007, 12:18 AM
Platinum Member

Fantastic letter to the teacher! If only it were so simple with Disney and Hollywood.