Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Chatting and General Stuff > General Discussion

General Discussion Must wear red or OD green socks to participate. I can't see your socks, please be honest.

I'm getting a new gun

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-08-2007, 08:36 PM
Platinum Member

Re: I\'m getting a new gun

If you have to go factory go with the ultra mag. I dont know what to get it in though. I know the old senderos shoot awesome but I haven't heard anything but horror stories on the new sendero. But then on hear there has been some people that have them that shoot good. I cant figure out what people say when they say I dont think I need that much gun. Are you kidding, If I could afford it I would have a fifty, and I would talk to kirby and have him design me a 20mm shoulder rifle. Thats when you can start wondering if you need that much gun. Bigger the better.
Old 02-09-2007, 10:51 AM
Silver Member

[ QUOTE ]
Bass Pro has a Savage 116 FCSAK 300 win mag with a 24" barrel and a factory installed adjustable brake on a heavy fluted barrel for $429. But they also have a Remington XCR 300 win mag with ss 26" barrel that looks pretty good, too ($849).

[/ QUOTE ]
Go with the savage an don't look back [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img] All you need to do is replace the factory stock and call it good..... unless you like the tupperware, then of course you dont have to. I have never heard of a savage ultra mag that didn't shoot sub-MOA.....
Old 02-09-2007, 12:12 PM

Im with sharpshooter the savage is an awesome gun I have owmed a savage 110 in 30-06 for about 8yrs and love it. But the Remington would be a good choice 2 those are time tested and just plain hard to beat. Im thinking about getting a new gun and I'm looking into a 7mm rum it could be loaded to do anything but so could a 300. for what you are doing any of these round will do great. If you are going for a factory chambered load a regular old 7mm rem mag is a relatively inexpensive round that will deffinately pack enough punch for anything in North America.
Old 02-09-2007, 06:43 PM
Gold Member

Have you shot at the American Shooting Center over there by Addicks? I think they have a range out to 1K, but you have to qualify to shoot it. I checked on it a while back, but it is a haul for me and possibly for you as well.

There is also a couple of other clubs in the area which have ranges out to 1k, if your interested, I can get you an email for someone who might be able to help out with them.

Shot me a line at the addy in my profile.

My bud Tim has a 300 RUM in a Sendero that he sent out to Kirby and had a brake installed. That thing shoots extreemly fine. Recoil is probably similar to your 257, only he is pushing 185's to 3400fps.

My Photo's

"Heck why would I lie, most folks don't believe the truth when I tell them"
Old 02-09-2007, 08:29 PM
Silver Member

Mike/Tx
I have shot there once last weekend. They have 100, 200, 300, 400, 600 yard ranges. My boss and I were shooting 200 and 300 hundred to get started shooting at these distance. The 400 and 600 yard ranges are fixing to be closed for some work, but not sure for how long. I am cleaning copper out of the .270 and relieving a pressure point at the forend of my stock and will be back out there saturday to see if what I have done this week helps.

There are a couple of 1000yard ranges in the houston area but are membership ranges. I am not there yet to start shooting that distant. Soon though.

Funny last weekend his old 25-06 that hasn't been cleaned in forever with a 3X5 redding scope shot better than the four other guns we shot. go figure